Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
koshermetal
Visitor

Re: Hosting for video files

Yeah, I deleted my post on hostgator. I talked to them and they said no way haha. I was looking into Amazon but I think we might go with a Virtual Dedicated Server via Go Daddy, 30gb of storage and up to 1,000gb of bw for under $40. Not exactly what we want to do, but we kind of have to due to the channel growth since going public.

If he isn't going to submit as a public channel, he might be ok paying DB 9.99 a month for 50gb of storage and a 250gb daily cap. But he should try to estimate the daily bandwidth before going that route since DB isn't meant to be used as a CDN and his channel will break if he hits the cap.
Free 24/7 Metal radio via web or smartphone
www.koshermetal.com
0 Kudos
sftv
Visitor

"koshermetal" wrote:
I was looking into Amazon but I think we might go with a Virtual Dedicated Server via Go Daddy, 30gb of storage and up to 1,000gb of bw for under $40.

Very interested on how the virtual dedicated server(VPS) works out for you. Please keep us updated on how the server handles the load. Even with Amazon S3 low pricing below, I have a few looking for a cheaper solution.

I'll look into DB again. I'm curious how DropBox, as they state use AmazonS3 servers for storage, offers 250gb daily bandwidth on a paid account for $9.99/month. Only possible show stopper is: Streaming videos are cropped at five minutes.

---
Amazon S3 pricing:

Storage: First 1 TB / month $0.140 per GB
Transfer: Up to 10 TB / month $0.120 per GB

Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive 5 GB of Amazon S3 storage, 20,000 Get Requests, 2,000 Put Requests, and 15GB of data transfer out each month for one year.
0 Kudos
koshermetal
Visitor

"sftv" wrote:
I'll look into DB again. I'm curious how DropBox, as they state use AmazonS3 servers for storage, offers 250gb daily bandwidth on a paid account for $9.99/month. Only possible show stopper is: Streaming videos are cropped at five minutes.

---
Amazon S3 pricing:

Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive 5 GB of Amazon S3 storage, 20,000 Get Requests, 2,000 Put Requests, and 15GB of data transfer out each month for one year.

Videos aren't cropped at 5 mins...we have content well over 5 minutes and they streamed fine via DB.

I did the math and with the package we got, it comes out to .04 per GB for both the storage AND the bandwidth (30GB storage - 1,000GB bw). Unless I'm missing something, seems a bit better than AWS since 1,000GB of bw would cost $120, plus the cost of storage.
Free 24/7 Metal radio via web or smartphone
www.koshermetal.com
0 Kudos
FBCMike
Visitor

Hello all I am completely new to this and looking into starting a channel for my church. My question is do you have to host the videos online or can you use an on site server? I appreciate all help Thanks
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"FBCMike" wrote:
Hello all I am completely new to this and looking into starting a channel for my church. My question is do you have to host the videos online or can you use an on site server? I appreciate all help Thanks
You have to evaluate how many people will be streaming how much content (at once and over time) over your in-house connection. If the traffic is low enough, you may be able to do it, but you'll have to check your agreement with your ISP to verify the connection will be capable and that it's permitted.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

I am using 2 domains to split content over. My shows are at least 1 hour in length. If an issue I get a VPS and change my xml paths to point to whatever server I want and the cost is very low per month.
0 Kudos
uarlive
Visitor

we are currently using a dedicated server from 1and1.com. its worked out pretty good for us and the bill is $50/mo with 2TB of bandwidth.
0 Kudos
davidtulix
Visitor

Amazon S3 pricing:

http://www.FlashWebtown.com offers 6TB for $500/mo, which is 0.08 per GB.
They can also host video files for the VOD channel.
Create Roku Channels - Live or VOD - Free or Paid
------------------------------------------------------------------
www.tulix.com | www.ngcdn.com | www.timeshiftdvr.com
0 Kudos

I realize this is a very old thread but I ran across it and figured others might as well.
(Notice: I am not in any way affiliated with any video hosting companies or CDNs)

If you are interested in getting some of the best video hosting on a major CDN (aka Akamai) but can't afford it...look into some of the smaller companies you can go through that offer hosting on the big boys. We are using OnStream Media's Streaming Publisher which is actually storing the video on Akamai. It works great, and their developer is working with us to set up the proper web services to give Roku the XML feeds it requires.

(Edit) Sorry, I meant to say that OnStream is charging us approximately $100/month and the content is actually on Akamai. We just go through OnStream's UI to manage our files.
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

Onstream at $100/month? To steep. There are cheaper solutions. At $100 a month I can get at least 12 Domains from a fast ISP and spread the load.
0 Kudos