Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hclapp_1
Visitor

Creation of New app.

Hi Team,
   Am new to roku app development, i have a plan to create a small app like weather report, i know its huge leap for beginners. Before creating this app i just wanna know. what are the things i need to be learn and what are the components i need to work out.

Things i done:
i have developed a simple Hello world program. 
Next ? please help me

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Creation of New app.

How much programming do you know? What languages do you know? Do you know Basic/VB or python or javascript or what?

At first blush, focus on using only SDK1 - and none of the SDK2 (the so-called "Roku Scene Graph"). It's hard to tell them apart because the documentation is a mishmash assuming you know already which is which - but if the component name starts with "ro" - use that. If it starts with "roSG" or no "ro" prefix at all - that is RSG and trust me, you don't want that.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"hclapp_1" wrote:

Next ? please help me

You're going to need to download information and display it on screen, so there's two skills you need - using roURLtransfer to get the data from the internet and roScreen or roImageCanvas to display it. If for any reason your answer to EnTerr's question is "none", it doesn't matter so much which thing you do next, because there is a lot to know before you can start your actual project. Look at the example channels in the SDK. Find one that looks interesting, and start poking around - change a color, or a URL and see what happens. Make sure you are using the debugger, it's a waste of time without it.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
hclapp_1
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
How much programming do you know? What languages do you know? Do you know Basic/VB or python or javascript or what?

At first blush, focus on using only SDK1 - and none of the SDK2 (the so-called "Roku Scene Graph"). It's hard to tell them apart because the documentation is a mishmash assuming you know already which is which - but if the component name starts with "ro" - use that. If it starts with "roSG" or no "ro" prefix at all - that is RSG and trust me, you don't want that.

Hi En Terr
Thanks for your reply !
I have knowledge in web technologies like JS and jquery... hmmmh vb i learned at my college level..
and document is little tough to understand. Please help me which component to start with at basic level.
0 Kudos
hclapp_1
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:
"hclapp_1" wrote:

Next ? please help me

You're going to need to download information and display it on screen, so there's two skills you need - using roURLtransfer to get the data from the internet and roScreen or roImageCanvas to display it. If for any reason your answer to EnTerr's question is "none", it doesn't matter so much which thing you do next, because there is a lot to know before you can start your actual project. Look at the example channels in the SDK. Find one that looks interesting, and start poking around - change a color, or a URL and see what happens. Make sure you are using the debugger, it's a waste of time without it.

Hi ST,
   Thanks for your reply...

Actual project motto is to read third party Weather JSON Data and separate the data with country and state wise. and display it on roku screen with little graphics. As u said earlier roURLtransfer roScreen, roCanvas is good startup for above things. But what is the basic level course to learn for beginner's. then only its easy to understand the core of the brighscript. Please suggest it in order..

Like in JS... we need to learn BOM(browser object model) and DOM(Document object model) , later manipulations on DOM. this is the basic for JS.

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"hclapp_1" wrote:
Actual project motto is to read third party Weather JSON Data and separate the data with country and state wise. and display it on roku screen with little graphics. As u said earlier roURLtransfer roScreen, roCanvas is good startup for above things. But what is the basic level course to learn for beginner's. then only its easy to understand the core of the brighscript. Please suggest it in order..

Ok, so you are not in bad shape to tackle this. Read this section first https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/BrightScript+Language+Reference[/url:342dzvlx] in the follow...

0 Kudos
hclapp_1
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"hclapp_1" wrote:

Ok, so you are not in bad shape to tackle this. Read this section first https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/BrightScript+Language+Reference[/url:eqv4cgrz] in the follow...

Hey Thanks, let me check those things...
0 Kudos
hclapp_1
Visitor

"hclapp_1" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
"hclapp_1" wrote:

Ok, so you are not in bad shape to tackle this. Read this section first https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/BrightScript+Language+Reference[/url:1oxw4gtw] in the follow...

Hey Thanks, let me check those things...

Hi EnTerr:
 What is  the difference between Scene Graph and Scene  Graph XML ?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"hclapp_1" wrote:
What is  the difference between Scene Graph and Scene  Graph XML ?

There is no difference. Roku's scene graph (SDK2) requires writing scene descriptors in XML - at least currently.
How is this related to you learning Brightscript and your project?
And why do you keep quoting all previous text in your reply? Trim it!
0 Kudos
hclapp_1
Visitor

Scene graph comes under brightscript na ? Am I correct...?
0 Kudos