Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Beta Scene Graph Components

Yes, please post issues you encounter to this thread.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
* Should be all players other than 3.1 legacy devices.
* Not really, but you can get a good idea from the Roku Home Screen and mGo channels.

We just released the beta, for trailblazers to get started blazing trails.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, umm... i think i'll wait for the "blaze of gory" :mrgreen: to subside a little.
Esp. i got myself something else really exciting to dig on
0 Kudos
Oak-Beard
Visitor

I'm not sure if this is a 'bug' or a 'feature' but I'm seeing a sensitivity to the order in which XML elements are defined. The XML file below defines:
(a) an upper and lower <Rectangle>
(b) 3 <Poster> elements that appear in the middle of the screen, and
(c) 3 <Label> elements

The issue is the behavior of the 3rd Label with id="bottomLabelLeft". The other two Labels are child nodes of a Rectangle but this one is not. If a <Poster> element is defined prior to this label, the label will not be visible. To see what I mean, comment out the Posters with ids "avatarMiddle" and "avatarRt".

Here's the XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<component name="testScene01" extends="Scene" >
<script type="text/brightscript" >
<![CDATA[
function init()
m.top.setFocus(true)
end function
]]>
</script>
<children>
<Poster
id="avatarMiddle"
uri="pkg:/images/Oak-Beard.jpg"
width="200"
height="200"
translation="[500,300]"
/>
<Rectangle
id="upperRectangle"
color="0xcc00ccFF"
width="640"
height="60"
translation="[300,120]">
<Label
id="upperLabel"
height="60"
width="0"
text = "Hello World!"
horizAlign = "left"
vertAlign = "center"
translation="[160,10]" />
</Rectangle>
<Poster
id="avatarRt"
translation="[900,300]"
/>
<Rectangle
id="bottomRectangle"
color="0x0000FFFF"
width="1280"
height="60"
translation="[0,620]">
<Label
id="bottomLabelRight"
height="60"
width="0"
text = "Can you see me?"
horizAlign = "left"
vertAlign = "center"
translation="[500,0]"
/>
</Rectangle>
<Label
id="bottomLabelLeft"
height="60"
width="0"
text = "Goodbye World!"
horizAlign = "left"
vertAlign = "center"
translation="[160,620]"
/>
<Poster
id="avatarLeft"
width="145"
height="145"
translation="[100,300]"
/>
</children>

</component>

0 Kudos
Oak-Beard
Visitor

I'm having difficulty with the debugger. I've created two telnet sessions: one to the 8085 port and one to the 8089 port. While the 8089 session displays the output of any Brightscript defined in the XML components, there is no response to any BrightScript debugger commands entered via this console. The 8085 session responds normally but apparently provides no way to interact with or examine the XML component scripts. Any suggestions?

Update: results are actually inconsistent as clarified in follow-up posting
0 Kudos
Oak-Beard
Visitor

The video.mute field seems to have no effect. Whether true or false, I'm always getting sound during playback.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Oak-Beard" wrote:
... the 8089 session displays the output of any Brightscript defined in the XML components, there is no response to any BrightScript debugger commands entered via this console. ... Any suggestions?

Sounds pretty... censored. How does it act if you include STOP statement inside the B/S XML?
0 Kudos
Oak-Beard
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"Oak-Beard" wrote:
... the 8089 session displays the output of any Brightscript defined in the XML components, there is no response to any BrightScript debugger commands entered via this console. ... Any suggestions?

Sounds pretty... censored. How does it act if you include STOP statement inside the B/S XML?

An excellent question.. STOP seems to work OK but a Ctrl-C has inconsistent results. Could be linked to threading? Sometimes the telnet session will respond but only after several seconds. Other times I get nothing until I press a key on the control. It's not the end of the world but it would be nice to know what's going on.
0 Kudos
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

I would like to be part of this beta. I want to test rotation of text, which doesn't work properly in current Roku firmware.
AC
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"crawfishmedia" wrote:
I would like to be part of this beta. I want to test rotation of text, which doesn't work properly in current Roku firmware.
The first message in the thread describes the procedure to request it by PM.
0 Kudos
Oak-Beard
Visitor

I've hit a snag when adding a component interface that uses the 'alias' attribute. Everything works correctly except when I attempt to alias the 'state' or 'control' attributes of a Video node. The documentation for a Video node defines the type of the control property as 'option string' and type(video.control) will indicate it is 'roString'. However if I define the alias as

<field
id="control"
type="string"
value="none"
onChange="ctrlVideo"
alias="vidScreen.control"
/>

I get the message:

Interface field alias failed: Type "string" does not match type of the field named "control"

I should point out that aliasing works OK for all other Video properties including 'errorMsg' which is defined as type=string. The issue seems to be the 'option string' and 'value string' types which apparently have no direct corollary in the types available when defining a Component Interface.

Am I missing something I should be doing or is this an actual bug/feature?
0 Kudos