Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKevin
Visitor

Beta Scene Graph Components

Roku is adding new Scene Graph SDK Components to enable more productivity in creating custom layouts of screens.

In the past, developers have been forced to choose between using screen templates with an optimized implementation designed by Roku or writing “custom” screens using the low-level drawing apis of roScreen. Our new Scene Graph components enable designers to quickly create screens using declarative XML and developers to implement the design with the support of higher level objects, layouts, events, and focus management.

The best place to start learning is with the“Scene Graph XML Guide” and “Scene Graph XML Tutorial” sections in our online documentation:
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Scene+Graph+XML+Guide
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Scene+Graph+XML+Tutorial

We’re excited to see how quickly you can implement new designs and look forward to your feedback on improvements we could make.

Please send a private message to RokuShawnS with the subject “beta scene graph serial number” and a body containing serial numbers you’d like to receive the beta firmware.

Please respond to this announcement with any questions or feedback regarding our beta scene graph components.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
225 REPLIES 225
MatroxRT
Visitor

Re: Beta Scene Graph Components

This is incredibly amazing. Thank you! I can't wait to start building apps with this.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Please, guys ... don't send me questions about the Scene Graph SDK. I have no knowledge of it whatsoever. I'm only facilitating gathering your serial numbers for the public test 🙂

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

I just loaded this up. I went through the sample apps just to take a look. After loading and playing with the "videobanner" one, I went to the home screen on my Roku 3. When I scrolled left and right, it alternates between:

Left: "home" is selected, channels fill up the rest of the screen, no ad is shown.
Right: menu disappears, first channel is selected, and the ad comes on screen from the right (on top of channel icons)

up/down don't work.

After pressing home a couple of times, it went back to nominal behavior. Haven't been able to replicate (best kind of bug). SW version 7.0 build 1306.

Adam
0 Kudos
dratio
Visitor

I am building an item with multiple labels on the same line. There will be dynamic content in the labels, so the width of the labels will be changing based on what the text is, so I have the width set to zero for both. However, when I need the final width of the first label in order to properly place the second label, it is still returning as zero. Is there a way to access the final width of the label in order to determine where the second label should go. I am assuming that this will be done via translation, but I need an x-value to put into the translation.
0 Kudos
lumpenprole
Channel Surfer

"adamkaz" wrote:
I just loaded this up. I went through the sample apps just to take a look. After loading and playing with the "videobanner" one, I went to the home screen on my Roku 3. When I scrolled left and right, it alternates between:

Left: "home" is selected, channels fill up the rest of the screen, no ad is shown.
Right: menu disappears, first channel is selected, and the ad comes on screen from the right (on top of channel icons)

up/down don't work.

After pressing home a couple of times, it went back to nominal behavior. Haven't been able to replicate (best kind of bug). SW version 7.0 build 1306.

Adam

Had the same thing happen to me once. Replicated it once, then never again.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKevin" wrote:
Please send a private message to RokuShawnS with the subject “beta scene graph serial number” and a body containing serial numbers you’d like to receive the beta firmware.

Joining a player to scenic-graph-beta, how would that mesh with the S/N being previously added to beta firmware list, Marma-dev authorization etc?

Is it likely i shoot myself in the foot doing this - or would it be wiser to dedicate a virgin player instead?
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Joining the Beta Scene Graph group will not affect whitelisting for Marmalade development.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Since getting the v7.0 firmware, I'm unable to hit Ctrl-C in the console without it dumping me back to the home screen. Anyone else?

I also get double prompts after a stop which persist:
BrightScript Debugger> BrightScript Debugger>

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lumpenprole
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
Since getting the v7.0 firmware, I'm unable to hit Ctrl-C in the console without it dumping me back to the home screen. Anyone else?

I also get double prompts after a stop which persist:
BrightScript Debugger> BrightScript Debugger>

-JT

So, it seems that there are two ports to watch for debugging now. 8085 is the classic port and anything that gets run in your main.brs is going to output there. The scene graph components, otoh seem to be running on 8089. personally I'm just running two telnets to those ports at the same time and ignoring eclipse altogether.
0 Kudos