Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraken
Reel Rookie

Adding new file to an existing sample

Hello,

I watched the tutorial and have used other scripting languages in the past.   What I don't understand is how SceneGraph knows about the file I'm adding to a working example.  

Here's what I have, in the samples I want to use postergrid.xml and include it into Roku Recommends and then call the function "showpostergrid()" from within MainScene.brs.  I get no errors, nor do I get an grids appearing as expected.  

How do I test if the postergrid.xml is even being recognized and the function being called by the main program.  

I apologize in advance if this is obvious.  I've never used this platform.  I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this issue.  Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Adding new file to an existing sample

If you're struggling with the BrightScript language, you're not alone.  That's why Roku also has the Direct Publisher tool for those channel developers who do not want to learn a scripting language.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
kraken
Reel Rookie

Re: Adding new file to an existing sample

Thanks,  A new twist on RTFM.  I guess "Give up and use the cookie cutter" is easier than a real answer.

0 Kudos