Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
das4
Reel Rookie

unpair remote from tv and cable

Jump to solution

Don't want my remote to control tv and cable

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: unpair remote from tv and cable

Jump to solution

Hi @das4,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you need assistance regarding un-pairing your Roku remote. We'll try our best to assist you.

Please follow the steps to un-pair the remote: 

1. Open the battery compartment and remove the batteries from your remote.
  2. Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds, and then re-connect the power cable.
  3. When your Roku device displays the home screen, reinsert the batteries in your remote
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds, if your remote establishes a connection with your Roku device it means your remote is not paired to your device.

If you wish to Re-pair the remote please follow the complete steps from our FAQ here: How to set up your Roku voice remote | Official Roku Support

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @das4,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you need assistance regarding un-pairing your Roku remote. We'll try our best to assist you.

2. Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds, and then re-connect the power cable.
  3. When your Roku device displays the home screen, reinsert the batteries in your remote
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds, if your remote establishes a connection with your Roku device it means your remote is not paired to your device.

If you wish to Re-pair the remote please follow the complete steps from our FAQ here: How to set up your Roku voice remote | Official Roku Support

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
das4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. I don't think it worked. What I'm looking for is---

I don't want my Roku remote controlling my Sony TV or my Xfinity cable box. It is interfering with the operation of my Xfinity remote----Thanks

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@das4--

Set up the remote for controlling the tv again.  It will play some music.  This time, if you really can still hear the music when it asks, lie and tell it you can't.  That will set the Remote to use a different set of IR commands than the ones for your tv..

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
das4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply but it didn't work

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@das4-

Some tv makes have several code sets, some of which may be fairly similar.  For instance one might only include a power on/off toggle command while the another has discrete on and off commands.  Some may be so similar that setting the remote to that less optimum one may still cause that interference. 

You might have to lie on several different code sets before finding one that no longer controls your tv.  Be sure you tell it you CAN still hear the music on any one where the music stops, and tell it you can't hear it on several where you really can.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
das4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks. I'll give it another try

0 Kudos
DonnaB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is NOT solved.  The procedure given does NOT work.  The Roku remote still controls the TV power.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DonnaB,

We're glad to have you here in the Roku community.

We understand that you're having issues with your Roku remote. May we know what steps you have taken so far? Could you try the steps provided by our remote expert?

• Go into settings to remote in use, program TV, and when it asks if the music is playing, click yes; if the music stops in the next step, click no; lie to it, and keep clicking no until it doesn't mute the music, then click yes. and exit the settings.

Let us know if this works.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DonnaB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello Janadee and thank you for responding.  I was referring to the very first post in this thread by RokuMary-F given as a "solution":

That procedure failed to unlink the Roku remote from the TV.

The really infuriating thing now is the Roku remote power button will turn the TV on BUT NOT THE ROKU DEVICE!!!  All the power button does is shut the TV on and off but the Roku device LED remains off and TV displays "No Signal".  I have to physically disconnect then re-connect the Roku device power cable to get the Roku device to turn on (white LED on and Roku logo appearing on the TV).  

I just purchased this 4K Roku device a month ago, is it defective already?

I then tried your procedure.  You wrote:  

"Go into settings to remote in use, program TV, and when it asks if the music is playing, click yes;"

The music WAS playing so I clicked Yes.

Then you wrote:

"if the music stops in the next step, click no; lie to it"

The music DID stop so clicking No is not a lie.  The on screen question is "Do you still hear the music?"  What you wrote makes no sense what so ever.  Did you mean to say click Yes, I do still hear the music even though it has stopped???

Please think about what you are writing and be sure it makes sense.  

Donna

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.