Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sybken
Reel Rookie

roku will not boot up to correct tv input

When I turn my LG tv off with either the tv or Roku remote I have the problem that, when turning it all back on, Roku does not have the correct tv input saved. The Roku express 4k+ no longer has the option in settings to POWER ON SAVED INPUT.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku will not boot up to correct tv input

I don't have any variety of Express but I don't think I've ever seen such an option on a Roku.

Are you sure this isn't an option on the TV?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Roku players don’t have inputs and I’ve never seen a setting like that either.  Most TVs will power up to the input that was in use when they were powered down.  Some can be set to always power up to some input.  If one-touch-play is enabled on the Roku, and the TV plays ball, then Roku can send a HDMI-CEC request for the TV to switch to it, when the Roku is used.  Sometimes this CEC stuff doesn’t work or gets confused.  You may find a control under your TV’s CEC settings to “refresh” the list/network.

0 Kudos
Sybken
Reel Rookie

I am obviously new to Roku and feel I did not explain precisely what is happening. I hooked up Roku to HDMI2 on my TV. I have nothing else hooked up to the TV at this point. No cable, no other devices at all. Just Roku. I have not even tried to hook up my external surround sound system yet. I made sure HDMI2 was selected as input on the TV. If I mess around enough I can get the Roku working. My issue is, then, if I use the red power button on Roku to shut off the TV, the system will not power up to the Roku homepage using the same red button. This is what I would like it to do, and the literature makes it seem as though this is, in fact, what should happen. I did, by the way, enable the one-touch-play as you suggested, but didn't change anything. When I power it on, the screen goes first goes to a Web OS page with small icons for all the streaming services on the bottom. The screen also shows HDMI2 in a small box as a recent input. I cannot, however, maneuver to this box to click on it. Hitting the home button does nothing at this point. It then goes to a NO SIGNAL screen if I go to my input on the TV and confirm it as HDMI2. I can then hit the home button and the Roku homepage will come up. Conversely, if I do not do this last step at all, I can wait for 4-5 minutes and the screen will go to the Roku homepage by itself. Maybe this helps explain my problem? Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Your TV may be reacting to the fact that the Roku has gone into low power mode.  You could try pressing the Home button on the Roku after turning the TV on, or disable the power saving mode in Roku settings.

I have a HDMI KVM switch box for my computers and it has a "feature" that causes it to automatically switch anyway from any computer that isn't sending out video.  It's annoying because even if you switch it back to a sleeping computer and press a key, the KVM has already switched back away from your selected computer because it is asleep.  Thus, the only way to wake up my computers is to press the power button on the computer, and then switch the KVM.  I think your TV may have a similar feature.

0 Kudos
Sybken
Reel Rookie

Thank you for trying. I guess I will punt. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Sybken, look for a setting within your TV's menu that would make it power on to the last used input.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos