Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandman333
Binge Watcher

Brand new voice controller failing

I bought 2 of the Roku Streaming Stick 4k+ (2021) units.  After a few months, the one I use the most now has a failing remote.  The remote will always turn the TV on, but after a few minutes it will no longer control the TV volume, power, or mute functions.  All of the Roku functions seem to work just fine (Samsung TV).  I've tried to re-pair the remote with the TV, and sometimes that process fails completely with the Roku telling me that my TV is not compatible (obviously it is, as I've had it working perfectly for a few months now).  

Unfortunately, Roku support is horrible.  Their phone number is disconnected, and the online support for remotes gets me to a screen that says "Lets Get In Touch" and "Loading" while a circle goes round and round and nothing ever happens.  I'm just about to the point to request a refund from Amazon and find another option.  If a company either cannot stand behind their product or cannot figure out how to provide even mediocre customer service, they do not deserve my money.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Brand new voice controller failing

@Sandman333

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-brand and model TV you are using
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
-when did you start seeing this issue happen

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sandman333
Binge Watcher

ROKU model: 3821X - Streaming Stick 4K+

Serial number: X01700XHPR09

Software Ver: 11.5.0 build 4235-CU

Device ID: S09T421HPR09

I have a small Samsung flat panel LED TV, 1080P resolution.  I don't know the model name.  I've had it about 5 years.  There is no way to find the model name or serial number through the TV menus- I've tried them all.

I can always turn the TV on with the ROKU remote.  A few minutes later, the TV power and volume controls stop working from the ROKU remote, but they work just from from the same position with the original TV remote.  It seems the ROKU remote ability to control the TV is failing.  

0 Kudos
Sandman333
Binge Watcher

By the way, why does your online support to chat with a CSR NEVER work?  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Sandman333

Thanks for the post and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Barry8
Binge Watcher

Very  frustrating 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Barry8

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us more about your concern? What are the troubleshooting steps you've tried?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

I posted a solution to the Roku voice remote problem, and I recommend trying it since it is exactly the same problem you described. So far for me, this fixed the issue, and all the remote buttons function correctly.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/Roku-Voice-Remote-TV-Controls-Stop-Working-Potential-Fix/m-p/8...

0 Kudos
Barry8
Binge Watcher

My voice remote needed to do the up and down key rather than the FF and RW  I didn't find the RF remote menu when I went there (maybe that was because I used up and down_.  I reset a bunch of stuff for the **bleep** of it just resetting. Rebooted the Roku and seems to work now but will know later tonight perhaps if I really have a fix. I will let you and the community know.

0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@Barry8 

You can also try this to get to the Platform menu: Home 5x, FF, D, RW, D, FF

0 Kudos