Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StackyJo

Re: remote volume-up button goes to maximum involuntarily

Hi there.  I've had this same issue happen on several different streaming models from time to time.  I found a solution on another message board that worked for me.  I had to update the remote firmware by going to the "secret platform menu":

1) Press the Home button 5 times, the fast forward button, the pause button, the rewind button, the pause button, and then fast forward again.  (Button sequence will be "home, home, home, home, home, FF, pause, RW, pause, FF")

2) When menu appears, choose RF Remote Menu

3) Choose Over The Air (OTA) Update menu

4) Choose OTA Firmware Update

5) Update firmware (it will show percentage progress during update)

6) Exit

I also saw that you can go into the audio settings and choose DTS or Dolby specifically instead of Auto and that worked for some people.  The remote firmware update alone worked for me.  It hasn't been a problem since.  Hope it works for you!

JJ1313
Reel Rookie

I should have posted this earlier. Sorry. Within a few days of my post the problem disappeared. I assume that Roku did something on their end. 

0 Kudos
43north

It worked !!!!!!!!

The volume, no longer runs to the maximum volume when I punched the button once  

I had to go back a second time and press the update again before I saw the “% process” I could’ve just screwed up the first time.  FYI

: I have a new 70” LG tv. 

image.jpg

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

@StackyJo  The fact that the menu to update the remote firmware is on a 'secret menu' and not readily available for customers to find easily in the normal settings is a joke. The constant complaints about these terrible Roku voice remotes go back years and there are dozens of issues it seems like.

Most of them go unresolved and most of the responses from moderators here are to ask the same questions for information that other people have already given again and again. Then they tell you to do the same troubleshooting steps you've already tried that don't work.

I want to know when Roku is going to admit failure and redesign new remotes that actually work! My guess is they are too lazy and cheap to do that which is why these remote issue threads continue to multiply.

I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth further investing money into future Roku products or just abandon the company for something else. I have zero issues with my two Fire TV remotes, they always work perfectly and they are absolutely not battery killers like the Roku voice remotes are.

0 Kudos
rmyers867
Channel Surfer

Hello again to all that have replied...

What a coincidence, that someone just replied in this topic thread... as this week my remote just started having the same issues after it had been working fine for almost 2 months after the last FW update.

The issue is reoccurring again with min/max volume from one button push...

Guess I'll go through the process again...  this is ridiculous.  Not sure why Roku can't just push a new update to the stick and Ultra box or find a permanent resolution to this issue.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

@rmyers867 Maybe the hardware of the remotes is flawed in some way so software updates cannot correct serious issues like this permanently. Who knows, but I do know these remotes were poorly designed and Roku needs to go back to the drawing board and design new remotes from scratch.

I hope they make new remotes that work properly, that don't drain batteries too quickly and for the love of God please put the volume and mute buttons on TOP of the remote so I stop squeezing them accidentally on the right side when I grab the remote to pick it up! I can't believe someone thought that was a good design idea! That blunder really blows my mind!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Emissary35 @rmyers867.

Thank you for sharing your input with us. We hear you and appreciate you for voicing your concerns and suggestions. 

In this instance, if resetting your remote (press the back and home buttons simultaneously for about 30 seconds and then re-pair it right after) doesn't work, we will request additional reinforcement from our relevant Roku team for further review.

Kindly provide us with the following details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

After doing so, kindly send me a PM here as I will be asking for further personal information from you. To send a PM, kindly select my username, View Profile, and on the right side of the page, select Send this user a private message.
We'll be anticipating your responses!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kirkdj

Seems like it worked..... I have been suffering through these remotes for months!!

I hope it sticks this time!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.