Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmyers867
Channel Surfer

remote volume-up button goes to maximum involuntarily

New batteries don't fix the issue.  Re-pairing the remote to the Roku box doesn't work.  Resetting the TV device/type programming for the Roku remote doesn't work.  The (2) Roku boxes I have were just purchased 60 days ago.  Remotes are brand new new.  Both TV's that are used are two different name brands... Samsung and LG.

This issue happens with volume going to MAX with one button click.  Same with turning the volume down to MIN, with one button click.

This is a Roku remote or software issue.  It's happening on two different TV's.  I didn't have this issue with a USB Roku stick.  I bought the Roku HD boxes to upgrade, and I'm now having remote issues with volume control (brand new remotes, with brand new batteries, with all devices/accessories being rebooted/restarted).

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: remote volume-up button goes to maximum involuntarily

Hi @rmyers867,

To the Roku Community, a happy welcome!

We'd like to gather more information, kindly send us a private message here in the Roku Community!
We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rmyers867
Channel Surfer

Hello John..

Thanks for the reply. 

How do I P.M. you or Support, with the details you need?...

I tried clicking on your username and tried to find the option in the hamburger tab at the top of the webpage...

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@rmyers867,

Here's how: Click the username and select View Profile at the right corner. You'll see this option: "Send this user a private message."

We hope that helps!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

This is may not be a remote problem but a RESPONSE to the remote problem.

See if a restart of your Roku(s) fixes it.

These things are just special purpose computers. Like their big brothers sometimes clearing things out by restarting them can correct problems. (Note that if yours is a Roku TV with "Fast start" enabled, turning it off and back on just puts it into and out of a standby state and does NOT give you a complete restart.)

Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power", or on models without a Power option, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
JJ1313
Reel Rookie

I see from other threads that this has been going on since at least January AND there is still no solution. 

I have an ultra and a 4k stick that are a year or two old and my out of control volume problem just started recently. Obviously, if the issue was fixed I would never have had a problem. Instead, there doesn’t even seem to be an explanation. Their solution is to request information even though they have been getting information for 10 months. 

Sony tvs & there is no problem when using services via the smart tv options, only when using the Roku. 

0 Kudos
rmyers867
Channel Surfer

Hello...  thanks for the replies everyone!

The only advice I'm getting from Support, is to go through all the troubleshooting I've already done multiple times, over the past 30 days.

And guess what?  Everytime this issue occurs I'm not going to be resetting the brand new Roku devices for a temporary resolution.  5-10 reboots a day is unacceptable.

The technical fix should NOT be, keep 'system resetting and power cycling' all your Roku devices.  This reset may work or reset your Roku devices 'this' way, or 'that' way...  (because it doesn't matter how I reset/reboot anything.  It's simply not fixing the issue).

I had no Volume issues when both Ultra boxes were brand new.  This issue started about 30 days after use.

I'm finding that it happens more often after I've been streaming video for several hours when the Ultra box gets warm/hot.

I assume the remote transmits Infra Red signals.  So there is no local RF/wifi interference with the remote's IR transmit signals.  Both remotes are not being used simultaneously (and even if they were, it's between an LG and Samsung TV on two different floors within my house). The LG/Samsung TVs use different remote codes.

That leads me to believe the only consistant failure point between both TVs... is with the remote or the Ultra box programming itself.

0 Kudos
JimD817

I am having the same issue with inability to control TV volume.  Issue just started and appears to only exist when Roku is streaming content.  Is this a glitch from a recent software update?  May have to replace Roku with another streaming device.

0 Kudos
rmyers867
Channel Surfer

Hello...

Appreciate your reply...  I followed the steps (provided by a member below in this thread) to send you a PM.

I don't see an option to 'send a PM to this user' after clicking on your user name and profile

0 Kudos

My Roku ULtra HD 4K HDR does the same thing.  One touch on the volume button and the volume runs away to MAX volume.  My TV is an LG that's linked to a Yamaha RX-A1050 sound system.  It get's very loud.  The Roku is connected to the Yamaha via an HDMI cable.  This is very annoying.  I can control the TV and Yamaha with the Yamaha remote properly.    I swapped remotes with another Roku Ultra.  I did a software update.  I did a factory reset on the Roku.  Nothing helps.  It normally happens in the volume louder direction,  but I think it also happened once in the volume lower direction.

Details:  Model 4802X-Roku Ultra, serial number - X01000HEG7SY,  Software - 12.50 build 4178-C2

This feels like a software issue.  Any ideas on fixing this?

Regards,  Jerry P

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.