Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whoever
Reel Rookie

no response to any button pushed

I have 2 roku players, 2 remotes, batteries are good, restarted players, I see Roku home screen, yet no response to any buttons pushed. They both went out about the same time. One is a streaming stick the other an express. Neither is very old. Still not working a day later.  What gives?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: no response to any button pushed

Hey @whoever

Thanks for the post.

The troubleshooting steps suggested in this Support link might help. Try giving it a shot: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
whoever
Reel Rookie

i don't use voice commands

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@whoever

Thanks for the reply.

Please be advised that the link consists of troubleshooting steps that will possibly resolve the issue you're experiencing with both of your remotes. Voice remotes are just classification on what type of remote you have and don't mean you use the voice command feature. 

I hope this helps! Keep us posted if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
whoever
Reel Rookie

not sure where the pairing button is

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

If the express is the most basic express, (vs an Express 4K+) then it will come with an IR remote and there is no pairing.  The streaming stick will have a wi-fi remote which does pair.

Any chance the remotes got swapped?  If you’re using them in the wrong rooms, the IR remote won’t be doing anything since the IR won’t travel that far and the Wi-Fi remote will probably still be driving the other Roku but possibly no one is there to notice anything happening.

0 Kudos
whoever
Reel Rookie

the remotes mentioned were for the new rokus that i bought to replace old rokus which became unsupported. interestingly enough, an old remote for an old roku will operate the new express 4k+ , but not the streaming stick. both new remotes quit working at about the same time. there was a power outage a day or so before i noticed any problems. maybe that had something to do with it?

THEY JUST STARTED WORKING FOR NO REASON. NO BATTERY CHANGES, NOTHING BLOCKING THE SIGNAL. JUST DECIDED TO WORK AFTER LOTS OF WASTED TIME CHANGING BATTERIES, POSTING TO THIS MESSAGE BOARD, ETC.   TOTALLY BIZARRE!

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Well, I’ll just throw out that if the remotes were swapped between rooms and then swapped back, that would be a simple explanation for suddenly not working and suddenly working.  That’s all I can think of.

(The old remote was probably IR and/or not paired with the streaming stick – the streaming stick has no IR receiver and will only accept Wi-Fi remotes that must be paired. IR remotes will drive any Roku in a line-of-sight with an IR receiver without any pairing – with sticks being the one class of Roku without IR receivers – due to the fact that sticks don’t expect to be installed in a line-of-sight kind of way.)

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.