Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carolyn2815
Reel Rookie

need help with brand new replacement remote - customer service won't respond

I am beyond frustrated as customer service won't respond. My first remote (with stick) began having problems a few months after I got it: some of the buttons quit working. I communicated with customer service and at least they responded that first time asking what my specific problems were (I had told them already about the remote buttons.) I thought I had figured it out as the remote worked better when I moved farther from the TV, so they closed the ticket.

Then several months later (still less than a year old), the mute button quit working, permanently stuck. I contacted customer service again and got the automated response someone would be in touch soon. Never happened and the problem got worse with other buttons getting wacky. I sent more emails and no one ever responded over the following months. Finally, I just gave up and ordered a new remote.

Well, that remote had no pairing button and I didn't know how to pair it. The only instructions were for how to pair the new one with the old one. How do you do that if the old one doesn't work?? Sent another email, but no response. I tried to find solutions online and after quite a bit of research over two days, somehow stumbled into pairing it using my phone. That is when I discovered that the brand new remote's on/off button and the mute button didn't work. Brand new! Since they won't respond, didn't even bother contacting customer service. Does zero good.

So now I am manually turning the TV on/off by using the TV controls. I cannot mute, which is irritating beyond measure. I just want a working remote. I have now paid for two remotes and still have one that doesn't work. Please don't tell me to use my phone for controls. Why should I run down my battery b/c of a brand new remote that doesn't work. I want a responsible company to address the issue or send me a new one at no cost.

The problem remote is with a stick. The other TV remote, connected via TV itself, works just fine, no issues.

Please, some Roku person who wants to make this right, respond. This just isn't right and no way to treat customers. (Sorry for the length, blame is on frustration.) 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: need help with brand new replacement remote - customer service won't respond

We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, @Carolyn2815.

Can you specify the remote model for this Roku stick? Kindly try to identify it with the help of this support article and follow the corresponding troubleshooting steps for your specific remote. If none of the fixes offered worked, please send us a PM here at the Roku Community; we might need personal data to resolve issues with remote

Keep us posted.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Carolyn2815
Reel Rookie

Re: need help with brand new replacement remote - customer service won't respond

Spoiler
Well, tried instructions in the article (via "add new remote" as my model number was not listed; my sku number is RCA1R. That is the only number I can find on the box it came in). Now I can do NOTHING.Only page I can get to is Remote settings, even after turning TV off (manually, of course) and back on. Page I'm on is Remote Settings where "set up remote for TV control" is located. What I see is IR setup and CEC setup. Wouldn't I use wifi?

So, I'm now exponentially worse than I was before trying the instructions. I didn't think it was possible to be more frustrated than before, but hey, I am. Someone needs to contact me and assist in the process. 

Not sure how to PM you. Where is that on the page?

0 Kudos
Carolyn2815
Reel Rookie

The entire first two-thirds of my message was cut off when I posted. Sheesh. I have to be somewhere so will have to post all that over again when I return. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us updated, @Carolyn2815

We'll discuss your concern further in a PM. To send a private message, click the user's name beside the icon, and you will be redirected to the user's profile. There you will see a "Send this user a Private Message."

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,

Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Carolyn2815,

We're sorry you had to go through this, and we apologize for the confusion.

No worries, we have sent you a message instead. Kindly check your inbox here at the Roku Community. We'll need personal data to assess this issue further.

We are hoping for your response.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos