Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeJC
Binge Watcher

Wrong remote listed on Roku Ultra

The buttons on my remote are just wacky. They don't do what they're supposed to do. So when I looked at the settings on my Roku Ultra it says I have a "gaming remote". Well I don't have a gaming remote. It's the original remote that came with the Ultra. And I don't play games and don't even own a video game. So why does it say I have a gaming remote? So I tried to re-pair it again but that doesn't work. I mean I press the pairing button for 5 seconds like it says and the pairing light won't light up. So I ordered a new remote. I ordered the Simple Remote - RC680 as that what it says my Ultra uses. It's a little different from the original but it has all the right buttons I need.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wrong remote listed on Roku Ultra

Gaming remotes have A & B buttons on them.  There have been a couple of Ultra models.  I don't know if any of them ever came with a gaming remote.  The Simple Remote you got will work with your Ultra, but it's an IR remote which must have a clear line of sight to the Ultra whereas the original remote uses RF (Wi-Fi Direct), requires pairing, and can be pointed anywhere.  If you're happy with the Simple Remote there's no reason to change it, but if you want a "point anywhere" remote that also has TV controls then you'll need one of the Voice remotes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MikeJC
Binge Watcher

I do have the A & B buttons on it. I had no idea what they were for. But the buttons are all wacky and it does not give the proper command response when watch a video. The play/pause button does something else. The Back button is screwed up too. I have the Roku in a cabinet I always used behind a closed door. I guess I'll have to open it now and get a the RF remote later on.

0 Kudos
renojim

If you're handy you can try disassembling the remote to clean off the contacts with alcohol.  It's kind of a pain to get them apart, but it's possible.  There's only one screw in the battery compartment and then you need good fingernails or something to get the clips on the two halves to unsnap.  You can also try compressed air to blow out around all the buttons without taking it apart.

0 Kudos
MikeJC
Binge Watcher

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I'm handy and have the tools and an air compressor.

0 Kudos
MikeJC
Binge Watcher

Well, I tried to open it up. There is a screw in the battery compartment that I removed but there's no way to take it apart. I mean I did remove the screw but there's no way to pry it open. It's like it's glued together.

0 Kudos
renojim

It's hard to get it started.  Assuming your remote is the same as mine, the easiest place to start is shown here:

Resized_20220805_003147.jpegResized_20220805_003502.jpeg

Julianac
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos