Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerf

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries and how to fix?

Jump to solution

Telling the customer to plug the Roku stick into the wall instead of relying on the TVs USB power is not acceptable.  FIX THE PROBLEM!  I have 5 Roku devices and am ready to sell them all on eBay and switch to Amazon.  

pan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

there are plenty of you tube videos showing the stick power from a usb slot on the tv. It seems Roku is overly cautious.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The USB port on my TV clearly states 500mA.  That's not enough.  Most TV's probably don't specify how much current they can supply, so it's a crapshoot if yours will work or not.  Just use the supplied power adapter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Vickies

Jump to solution

I tried this - installed new batteries, then factory reset, then paired remote, not to mention having to put in usernames and passwords for all our channels again.  Three days later, the batteries are dead again.

Imrosed
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Pretty much same scenario… Annoying  that we had to put in the passwords again. After that it lasted maybe four weeks, and then I changed batteries… Stopped working again after  a week which is what it was doing before doing the factory reset 

0 Kudos
pan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I know that factory reset is a pain and I have yet to see any reason why it would help stop batteries discharging. Just as an experiment, I put a new set of batteries in the remote, wrapped it in aluminium foil so there could be no action with the roku, actually put it in the garage and checked it every 2 days. Day 5, batteries were flat. Conclusion - factory reset does nothing.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@pan @Imrosed @Vickies

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AugieII
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I recenly upgraded to a Roku Express 4K device.

Serial No: X016001U28AK    Model: 3941X

I have a voice remote with standard batteries.

My remote drains the batteries about 10% each day.  I have replaced them several times.

I have tried all of the possible fixes offered in this topic thread and none have helped.

I chatted with a customer agent who was very little help.  Her only suggestion was to

re-link the remote.  No improvement.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @AugieII,

We appreciate you reaching out to the Roku community!

We'll have a member of our Support team reach out to you via email, they will continue assisting you from there and provide a resolution to this issue.

If you need any additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hopwilly

Jump to solution

I tried resetting and using AC l. Batteries are still draining. Model 3800x
my serial number YFOOF9037826

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.