Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why is my Roku remote draining batteries and how to fix?

Jump to solution

Hi @Hopwilly,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Please be aware that your device is no longer under warranty. If you need a replacement remote for your Roku device, you can purchase a compatible remote on our Products page here

For more information about our device warranty, visit our Support page here: Player warranty and license agreement 

If you need further assistance, feel free to contact Roku Support here.

Thank you for your kind understanding regarding this matter.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
reinie67
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Standing joke here.  quick to tell you to buy another remote if yours is over a year old.  Mine was less than 6 months old when it started burning through batteries.  It didn't matter.  Their fix was to reset the roku, re-pair the remote, go through the pain of setting up all of your apps again... and nothing changed.  Maybe the newest roku and remote have addressed the problem, but I doubt it.  The real solution - move over to a fire stick.

scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Or get a USB dummy battery adapter, or for IR remote control ( not all devices ) a Universal remote control. See other posts.

But yes, the idea of them still asking about serial numbers and batteries still is an utter joke.

Imrosed
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

There is really no point in providing that information. I already did that and was told my remote was out of warranty, which was not at all helpful. The remote is defective as seen by the multitude of posts regarding this problem.

Chris07666
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

And, most importantly, the problem is likely a software fix that Roku simply won't bother addressing. It's not like the remote is mechanically broken.

lmw1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There is a youtube fix for this. if your remote has the mic on it to go into settings - privacy - microphone - microphone access and change to never allow. Apparently channels maybe constantly trying to communicate with the remote causing the batteries to drain. here is the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOVov37qwpQ

0 Kudos
ibmmike

Jump to solution

This is a work around that works but is not the solution, that belongs to roku engineers with deaf ears. Before I explain, the veryt recent privacy post appears to be a possibility, but like so many tips before, it may not work or causes another problems. I did shut off my mic to try, but if that fails,  I will continue to use my WORK AROUND.

Wrap about 3 inches of scotch tape, mid tape on mid battery (one battery only) which will serve as a pull tag. This enables very easy lifting one end of a battery just off the terminal but still held in place when you are done with your roku session. This has prevented battery drain on my 3 roku's and has worked for a couple of years now. It's only a minor inconvenience, especially if you toss the battery cover, and no battery, no drain. 

Mike

0 Kudos
Imrosed
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I followed the YouTube instructions for turning off microphone in settings. I never use the microphone anyway so here’s hoping it works, cause it’s so annoying. 

update- a week later, remote just stops working…. Still shows in settings that it’s at 100%. Put them in my battery tester and they are already out of green area. 

this fix did not work for me. 

0 Kudos
lmw1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So far turning of the mic seems to have stopped my batteries from draining. After a couple of days my battery level is still at 100 percent. It usually would have dropped into the early to mid nineties by now. Hopefully this fix continues to work.

0 Kudos
trioguy

Jump to solution

Serial number YH00HT354965

0 Kudos