Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MintKayak
Reel Rookie

Voice Remote with Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a Roku Ultra.  The original remote is old and dying.  I purchased a Roku Voice Remote - RCA1R.  It paired well and all buttons work except the volume on the size.  The Volume +,-, or Mute button do not have any affect on the volume.  In addition, when these three buttons are pressed the status light on the Ultra does not flash.  (With the old remote, the status light would flash with the volume keys.)

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MintKayak
Reel Rookie

Re: Voice Remote with Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

After enabling CEC on the Roku Ultra, I can now control the volume with the new Voice Remote.  Thank you for the assistance.  I am curious why enabling CEC was not recommended previously though.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The power, volume, and mute buttons on WiFi-Direct Roku remotes send the appropriate signals to your TV via line of sight infrared (IR) signals. Different TVs have different sets of IR codes they accept, so you have to set up the remote to send the correct code set for YOUR TV.

Roku menu path:
"Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes"
At this point if your remote has already been setup for the TV but you need to reset it, arrow down to select your Remote (in use).
Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
MintKayak
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi @makaiguy,

There is something I do not understand: the original remote would change the volume output coming from the Roku, why doesn't the new one?

My setup:  Roku - HDMI cable - Sound bar - HDMI cable - TV

When I changed the volume using the Roku remote, the status light on the Roku Ultra would blink, and the volume would change on the sound bar.  The volume on the TV was not used.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for the added information, @MintKayak.

In this case, kindly try to navigate to your Settings > System > Accessibility > Remotes & Devices and remove the old remote. This might cause the issue you have been experiencing. In addition, may we know what is the model of your soundbar? 

In the meantime, you can try to press and hold the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 30 seconds to reset your new remote and then re-pair it right after. 

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to find you the best resolution possible.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MintKayak
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuCarly 

Appreciate the suggestion, sadly I have the same result.

I removed the original remote (Gaming Remote) and reset the Voice Remote (by holding the Back+Home keys for 35seconds).  To repair the Voice Remote, I just pressed a few of the buttons to reactivate it.  To be safe, I removed the batteries from the Gaming Remote.

At this state, I opened the Roku Live app and tried to change the volume without success.  If I reverted back to the old Gaming Remote, I was able to change the volume.

I have a Yamaha YAS-107 sound bar

0 Kudos
Loriem09

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem BUT it will power the TV on and off and if I reset it the volume will work for a while and then stop working.  Unfortunately I threw out the box because everything was working initially and so I can't return this defective remote.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for the added information, @MintKayak.

In this case, we will request additional reinforcement from our Support team for further assistance. Kindly check your inbox as we have sent you a PM to gather more personal information from you. 

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MintKayak
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After enabling CEC on the Roku Ultra, I can now control the volume with the new Voice Remote.  Thank you for the assistance.  I am curious why enabling CEC was not recommended previously though.

0 Kudos