Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hexank

Voice Remote Pro only charges to 10%

Jump to solution

We will leave our remote plugged in for DAYS and it just won't charge past 10% or so. I've tried different power adapters and cables. It's only a couple years old, what's the deal? Anyone else have this issue? I might look into replacing the rechargeable battery if it's cheap enough, but otherwise I'll just replace it. Seems silly that their "Pro" remote only lasted a year or two.

0 Kudos
xmasmoneky

Re: Voice Remote Pro won't charge

Jump to solution

I just ran into the same problem, but I finally found something that worked (see this Roku community comment).

Here's what I did:

1. Remove the back cover off the remote.
    • I stuck my fingernail into the space between the remote back and front, near the charging port.
    • Once it opens a little - work your finger or a small screwdriver around the remote until the back cover pops off.
  2. The battery has a cable with a little white plug, that plugs into a little white receptacle that is attached to the circuit board.  Pull out the little white plug (I gently used pliers to pull it out).
  3. Wait a minute, then plug the cable back in.
  4. Snap the remote cover back on, and charge!

My remote would not charge above 11% even after trying 10 different cables / adapters / outlets, resetting the remote, etc.  But it's only been 2 years - not enough for the battery to "die" as Roku suggests (what's the point of an environmentally friendly rechargeable remote that you have to toss and replace every 2 years?).  Now - it is charging just fine (already at 60% after just an hour).

I don't know why this worked, but seems a little odd to me.  Feels like a software issue. Almost as if the Roku software is programmed to assume the battery degrades over time.  Not sure why else "resetting" the battery would cause it to suddenly worked.  The battery plug was tightly in the socket before I took it out, so I don't think it is about "loose connections" developing over time.

In any case - this is the one thing that finally worked for me.

0 Kudos
xmasmoneky

Re: Voice Remote Pro only charges to 10%

Jump to solution

I had the same problem and just found a fix that worked.  I was so frustrated by it I'm now replying to similar questions in this forum with a solution 🙂

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/Voice-Remote-Pro-won-t-charge/m-p/1005110/highlight/true#M5346...

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.