Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msltechie1
Channel Surfer

Using multiple Roku devices on adjacent TVs

Jump to solution

So I have 3 Roku devices and 3 Roku remotes.  I'd like to find the best combination of 2 devices to use on two adjacent TVs on a table in one room. 

My devices are:  Express 4K+, Express, Streaming Stick model 3810x

My remotes are:  2 voice remotes with pairing button by battery and  red power button on top, 1 remote with no pairing button and no red power button

I know for a fact that the two Express Rokus work with the 2 voice remotes and they even recognize the brand one TV, so those would be ideal.  Right now they conflict with each other, so I'd need to find instructions on how to work those two together. 

The Streaming Stick powers up and brings me to the home screen, but is unresponsive to any remote I try.  It also doesn't respond to the Roku app on my phone even though it appears to working and on the same wifi network as my phone.  The old remote with no pairing or power button doesn't seem to work with anything.  I googled for a replacement remote for the 3810x, and someone suggested an RC-AL7R, but when I looked at that in the Roku store it looks identical to the voice remotes I already have.

Thanks for any help with this complicated question!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
msltechie1
Channel Surfer

Re: Using multiple Roku devices on adjacent TVs

Jump to solution

Thank you Tivoburkee.   Here are the missing details -

Roku Express 4K+,  model 3941X

Roku Express, model 3900X

Roku Streaming Stick+, model 3810RW

I was able to solve my problem by using the Roku remote app on my phone to control the streaming stick on 1 TV and one of my physical remotes to control either Express device.  You're right, the physical remotes affect both Express models so using them together in one room is not an option. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@msltechie1

Thanks for the post regarding your specific inquiry.

Perhaps @Tivoburkee can provide a suggestion or recommendation as he's our resident Community remote Expert.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There are too many variables in combination of Rokus for me to guess at, I need model numbers of the Roku, not just names. And their remotes. 

A voice remote with pairing button if it were paired to a Roku it will only control that one Roku. But when a Voice remote isn't paired it will emit IR commands and control any Roku in sight that accepts IR commands. 

Express models 3700 and 3710 can only be controlled by Roku IR remote, and when you have two Roku's side by side you do not want to use ANY type IR remote. It will control both. 

As for the 3810 Stick+, it will not accept commands from an IR remote. And for it to accept commands from a wifi voice remote you have to have the original usb cable with bump in it, that's the long-range wireless receiver that remote and internet communicate with, without it no remote will work. The rc-al7 was replaced by the RC-EL1, any Voice remote sold at Walmart or best buy will work with the 3810 if it has its original usb cable with bump. Looks like this:

USB Power Cable with Long-range Wi-Fi® Receiver | Roku

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
msltechie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you Tivoburkee.   Here are the missing details -

Roku Express 4K+,  model 3941X

Roku Express, model 3900X

Roku Streaming Stick+, model 3810RW

I was able to solve my problem by using the Roku remote app on my phone to control the streaming stick on 1 TV and one of my physical remotes to control either Express device.  You're right, the physical remotes affect both Express models so using them together in one room is not an option.