Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dublinjt75

Strong electronic odor from remote

I have the Roku remote pro rechargeable with audio. I purchased this a few weeks ago. I continually get a strong electronic odor from that remote and only that remote. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue? It is NOT normal to have this odor. Will this odor go away or do I need to use the warranty and get it replaced?

24 REPLIES 24
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Strong electronic odor from remote

Are you leaving the remote on the charger after it becomes fully charged?  This might be causing the battery to heat up and causing the odor you are noticing.  This can also be detrimental to the overall life of a rechargeable battery.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dublinjt75,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device that is paired with your Roku remote as well as the model of the Roku remote.

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PixelThis

Mine has the same issue. It's a new set up,  with a new controller.

It hasn't been charged yet.

ence

Our Voice Remote Pro RC795 also has a strong electronic odor. The odor lingers on our hands. Changing the voice switch from green to black seems to help.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@PixelThis @ence

Thanks for the post.

For further assistance, please see @RokuMary-F's last post and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

my remote has strong odor also, it should be REPLACED. the odor is overwhelming..

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @handyman12RB,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would like to know how to identify and take a closer look to see how we can help. Can you please provide more information about the remote issue you are experiencing? How long/When has the issue been occurring? Can you please provide the serial number/device Id of your Roku device?

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bydand10

I've had the same problem now for over a year.  I've just given up and wrapped a ziplock bag around it to contain the strong chemical odor.  Its unbearable - I can't even wash the smell off of my hands. It makes me wonder what kind of chemicals are seeping into my skin

bydand10

My remote model is RCS01R