Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scotch50829
Reel Rookie

Simple remote control suddenly stopped working (3 days use)

Hello community,

on my brandnew Roku Express 4K (Seriennummer X01600MVSXC0, Softwareversion 10.5.1-Revision 4066-CR) the sinmple remote control (Model RC-ALIR, 3226001000) suddenly stopped working after 3 days of use.

I changed the batteries and checked the signal of the remote with my smartphone: no signal

Other remotes are visible on the smartphone.

Anybody else with that issue and some ideas how that can be fixed.

The Roku support recommended resetting the device to factory settings...

Thanks und greetings.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Simple remote control suddenly stopped working (3 days use)

I can't see how resetting the Roku to factory settings can have any effect on the simple IR remote's ability to send an IR signal.

Roku warranty claim instructions: https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

But we see lots of complaints here about Roku's warranty turn around times.  You may want to purchase a replacement that you can get quickly as well.  Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon etc. carry them - just be sure it is for Roku devices, not just Roku TVs which use a different set of IR commands.  Many inexpensive  universal IR remotes also can control Roku devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Scotch50829
Reel Rookie

Exactly.

Unfortunately I followed the advice of the Roku support and reset the streaming device to factory settings and guess what: Now I'm not able to use it anymore, because without working IR remote control you cannot setup the streaming device! Of course you also cannot use the smartphone app because it requires wifi connection to the streaming device and you cannot setup wifi without the IR remote control.

Regarding any third party remote control: I decided not to buy a thrid party remote control, because at amazon even the cheapest ones cost around half the price that I have paid for the Express 4K. This does not make any sense with a brandnew device a with 30-day return warranty.

Therefore I finally decided to return the streaming device with the defective remote control to amazon.

I ordered now the Roku Streaming Stick 4K because it comes with the "advanced" remote control (w/o IR, with TV control buttons) and I hope that one lasts longer than the simple remote control (with IR, w/o TV control buttons).

In the end the Roku streaming experience was much better than what you can get with the amazon Fire TV stick with it's now overpacked and confusing user interface, therefore I will give Roku a second chance to keep me as a customer and user.

By the way: I forwarded my issues with the support team advice to reset the device to factory settings while the RC was not working and the results to the support team and they promised to spread the information internally. I hope it helps...

Best regards from Germany.​​​​​​​

0 Kudos
Blazing_Away
Channel Surfer

I have two of their comparatively high-end Roku remotes for my Ultra, but I gave up on them due to various problem including destroying batteries. Instead, I been using an Anderic remote and a few months ago I got extras (a two pack) on Amazon for at most $20.  My not old Ultra is now having its own problems (which I just posted) but it's the company I'm worried about, so I'm reassessing Roku altogether.  I had been strongly considering a TV.  

0 Kudos
TRULADY87

Same thing happened to me with two different remotes for two different Roku premiere devices.  Batteries died and it stopped working.  Quite ridiculous the quality control in these things they should work to improve that otherwise it’s a great product better than fire sticks by far.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TRULADY87

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? If you replace the batteries in the Roku remote, do the remotes function? In addition, can you provide the serial numbers/device IDs on the Roku devices of the remotes that you are experiencing this issue with?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos