Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andie1982

Simple Remote not working but Roku app remote works fine

My simple remote will not work (the homepage just stays in screensaver mode) but I downloaded the Roku app & the app remote controls my Roku device fine.  I already tried new batteries & everything is connected as it should be.  Think I need a new remote?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Simple Remote not working but Roku app remote works fine

Hi @Andie1982,

Welcome to your first post here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having issues with your remote that isn't functioning properly. It seems like the longevity of your Roku remote has affected its functionality, and it might be a better option to purchase a new one. You can refer to the Roku official website that offers remotes at this link: Roku remotes.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Andie1982-

One common error people make is not putting new batteries in oriented correctly.  Some remotes need them pointing in the same direction, others need them pointing in opposite directions.  There should be a diagram in the battery compartment showing the correct orientation.

You can check if the remote is sending its IR signals by pointing the remote at a digital camera (one in a mobile device will do) and viewing the top end of the remote in the camera view screen while pressing various remote keys.  If the remote is working, you should see key presses produce a glow on the end of the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
rjb37
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem, all of a sudden the Roku 3930X stopped working. If I use the app, it works just fine. I have a remote that I use for another TV but that didn't work either. I went ahead and bought another remote at Walmart but it didn't work. Here are the other steps I've taken. 1.) replaced batteries in all three remotes. 2.) reset the the Roku, using the button. 3.) Tried new usb power supply and cable. 4.) new HDMI cable. 5.) reset the internet. 6.) made sure my tv was seeing the Roku which it is.

I've run out of ideas, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community, @rjb37!

No worries. We're here to find you the best resolution possible regarding your concern. 

In this case, we can try one more step, and with your permission, we can perform a hard reset on your Roku Express. Please be informed that resetting your Roku streaming device will set you back to default settings, and you may need to re-link your Roku account and sign in on your channel subscriptions. Also, before doing this step, ensure you know your network connection's name and password. 

For further details and assistance, here's our Support article to help you on How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device

Let us know how it goes! We'll be looking forward to your update.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rjb37
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the quick response! I did the factory reset and that did the trick. I appreciate the help, thank you!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.