Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomHolland
Binge Watcher

Setup Step Missing Lately - "Set Up Remote For TV Control" on #Roku Express 4K+

I love Roku streaming devices and install them professionally averaging 6 or more Express 4K+ devices per week.  I know them very well. 

Lately. I've installed 4 where the setup proccess is missing the step where you set up remote for TV control, n/off & volume.  You can still do it in settings after the Roku finishes installing but newbies wouldn't know that and would think they need to use 2 remotes.  .   

I hope it's a software glitch and not by design.

Attention Roku:  Please address this.  Thank you 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Setup Step Missing Lately - "Set Up Remote For TV Control" on #Roku Express 4K+

Paging Roku employees @RokuAustin, @RokuERey, @RokuMaryEF, and any other moderators for follow up.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Setup Step Missing Lately - "Set Up Remote For TV Control" on #Roku Express 4K+

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @TomHolland.

We appreciate you letting us know about this, and we'd be happy to review your concern further so we can provide you with an accurate solution.

Can you please confirm if you're using the remote that came with the Roku Express 4K+? If not, what specific remote model are you using? 

We'll be looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuCarly, for what it's worth, I noticed the same thing when I paired a new VRP v2 to my old 3920 yesterday.  I thought it was odd that after the hands-free tips it went right to "Finished" without offering to set up the remote for TV control.

I've paired the remote back and forth between a 4800 on 13.0 and the 3920 on 13.1.4 and it appears that on either one if it displays "tips" after choosing "Continue" after the voice agreement is displayed it doesn't offer to set up the remote for TV control.  If it skips the "tips", it offers to set up the TV controls.  The software version doesn't seem to matter.  You either get tips or you get TV control setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @renojim.

Thanks for letting me know about this. 

I'll coordinate this with the team and let you know once I have further information available.

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
TomHolland
Binge Watcher

Hi, Thank you for your response.  Yes, I'm using the voice remotes that come with the Express 4K+.  Everything new right out of the box.  I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area and these are purchased through Amazon.  I pull the purple plastic tab, select language English, set the WiFi.  These (now four) Express 4K+s never showed the image of the remote with the highlighted on/off and volume.  Never went though setting volume "It looks like you have a Samsung TV, "Is the music playing?", etc.

I believe it will happen again and I'll get the serial number.   

0 Kudos
TomHolland
Binge Watcher

Re: Setup Step Missing Lately - "Set Up Remote For TV Control" on Roku Express 4K+ MORE INFO

Another case on 7/28/24.  More information here re the problem.

Roku Express 4K+

S/N: S0HAK3C0H3L1

Model: 3941X2

During setup, the step where you set up remote for TV control is missng.  It goes right to asking for your email address.  I found out, by accident, that if you go back from the email request screen due to wrong email address etc., you get the missing TV setup screen!    

ATTENTION ROKU: Please fix this software glitch.  New users will never know they can control TV On/off and volume. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.