Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandito
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

So I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control my hisense roku tv and accidentally pressed a number on the keypad and the roku recognized it and puts up blue numbers on the screen. I haven't figured out how to make it actually to to the channel input and I assume there should be an input for the decimal on OTA channels, but this feels like progress.

This may be a future feature that somehow slipped in. Something similar happened to me a couple months before they officially added streaming channels to the OTA channel guide.

Edit: little searching through my Harmony setup and I actually added my house se tv as a tcl, I think at the time the database didn't have a hisense roku tv.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Someone noticed the same thing last Friday. I was able to do it too with a universal remote, but it never changed channels. My TV is TCL.

If they're implementing this, I hope it won't be tedious. I.e., it would be nice if you could just key the channel number, without the subchannel "-1". Sometimes I just want to get close, not be a perfectionist about it.

Similarly, I hope they would allow us to go to any channel (even if hidden or no signal). Again, sometimes I just want to get closer to the 3 to 10 range, or 45-55. I might just type in 48 without any concern for what is actually there. I just want to easily get into the range, then "up" (or "down") arrow to go to 45 or 51. I don't want choose before going there. Just closer.

If they did it that way, then they could let us access the "hide" list (which would be nice if it had a "fav" column too) from the channel we're watching, deposit us into that list with the current channel selected so we can easily hide or unhide it.

If they did it this way, they could also let us add channels that weren't picked up during the scan (instead of having to do a destructive rescan). If you see a new channel in an online guide (a good reason to use an online guide instead of Roku's, which won't display all channels), you could type in that number (on the remote), and then enter the RF number to add that channel to the existing list of channels. 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Brandito
Binge Watcher

The fact that the numbers show up where the regular white ones normally are has me really hopeful.

Now that they also added streaming channels to the guide there are so many more to scroll through, so that makes also makes it feel likely we're getting this feature.

Lastly, with the addition of the streaming channels to the guide I no longer have favorite channels separated out, leading to more scrolling still.

Hope I'm right and we're on our way to the 20th century

RodA

@atc98092 wrote:

Don't forget that your Roku TV will work with an inexpensive universal IR remote. Now I can't say if the number buttons will register with a Roku TV, but for under $10 it might be worth a try. Just make sure whatever remote you find lists Roku as a supported device. 

No it doesn't.  I tried this and it doesn't work.  When I called the universal remote company tech support the response was that this is a know issue as the Roku software doesn't even recognize the keypad numbers as a valid input.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fixed: Solution found

I found an easy way to change channel to specific number. I have an iPhone it might work on android.

1. Get Roku app

2. Connect app to tv so remote is enabled

3. press the microphone icon and say “change channel to 45” 

ps: if you say change to tnt it will open the tnt app so you need to say the number.

upvote this please to help others

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use the mic button on the Roku app and say “change channel to 60”

antdude
Streaming Star

@Anonymous wrote:

Use the mic button on the Roku app and say “change channel to 60”

This won't work for users who don't want to talk or can't talk like me. 😞

Ant @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The last choice is using the developer tools but I haven’t got to that point yet

Brandito
Binge Watcher

Re: Fixed: Solution found

I can't even get the app to understand my voice input, it has access to the mic, but plays stupid every time I use it

Dirtgirl64
Channel Surfer

I have figured it out. Well if you go through Xfinity. I'm not sure if it works for everything. What you do is go to the live TV section on your screen. There at the very top you will see where it say for options you hit the asterix button. Hit on said asterix. That will take you to the next screen. There you will have three different options. On mine it's the first one. Select a channel. Click on that. A screen will pop up with numbers and letters. From there just input the number you want and it will take you right to that channel. I hope this works for you. I was quite surprised to see the option was there at all. Good luck