Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Donnakosh
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote: hard to press the buttons

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with my remote. I went through the trouble shooting and it didn’t work. You have to press to right arrow button repeatedly to get to the apps and then guides. Once in the up and down arrows are even worse. They do not want to scroll. What is going on with these remotes. My first Roku stick and remote work perfectly but not this one.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We appreciate your first post here in the Roku Community, @Canes95!

Thanks for letting us know about the remote issue you are currently experiencing. We'd be happy to assist you in reaching the proper support regarding this matter.

You can try to press and hold the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 30 seconds to reset it. After doing so, re-pair it again to see if this will make any difference.

If the issue still occurs, please be informed that TCL manufactures its player hardware, which includes the remote you are referring to, so in this case, we highly suggest reaching out to your TV manufacturer as they will be the ones who can further assist you with this. Perhaps a replacement for your remote would be an excellent resolution for this.

You can reach them here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

In the meantime, you can use the Roku mobile app as an alternative to your physical remote. It works well with all of Roku's streaming players and has a private listening feature.

Best regards,
Carly 

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Donnakosh!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention and we'd be happy to further assist you with the remote issues you are currently experiencing.

Kindly meet us through Private Message as we'd be asking for further details about this.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
WalkerZ
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem. I'm very disappointed in Roku. I have three Streaming Stick 4K, all purchased at the same time about four months ago. Two of them work great with no problems. The third has had continual problems with freezing / locking up for no reason, requiring a reboot to recover.

On this same system, the remote buttons have become very hard to respond when using the arrow buttons or the OK button.

It appears that Roku has severe quality problems in either design or manufacturing.

Roku service has ghosted me too - I've had trouble tickets in for months and no response to repeated inquiries.

Without response, I'll have to look at other providers for a quality experience.

0 Kudos
Donnakosh
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is not a Roku TV.  It is the Roku Streaming Stick 4K with voice remote with TV power, volume and mute.

0 Kudos
DJQuad
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The buttons on the regular remote are very hard to press in general and the other Roku remotes like the Remote Pro aren't any better.

DanUK
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have same issues, in the UK when we buy something the consumer rights act (2015) states that the organisation we pay has the obligations to us which extend for far longer than any warranty.

So the risk is that as more and more of these Roku devices fail the big retailers will stop selling Roku products due to their being so unreliable.

What makes it worse is there are no screws and you have to be really skilled to get the cover off.

Why should we spend money on special liquid to improve the contacts when there is clearly a manufacturing defect and materials are not fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
DanUK
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Why operate through private message when the idea of a community forum is for us to learn from the answers provided to others?

Does Roku offer to replace these?

My remotes look like new but one relatively new one has failed on the main buttons and the other even newer one does not press right for volume, it is tactile for lowering volume but not for raising volume.

These 4k devices were not cheap.

0 Kudos
WalkerZ
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I took it apart with the idea of using DeoxIt D5, which is magic for cleaning tarnished button connections. But nope, don't bother. It's tricky to take apart but there are instructions on YouTube - it's not easy but with patience can be done. However, there is no access to the button contacts. It looks like a double sandwich board with the contacts between the boards and therefore inaccessible. There is a wide layer of tape on top of the button area which you probably won't want to remove anyway.

My remotes are all no more than six months old, and should not be failing, either from tarnish (unlikely in six months) or from use (in six months?). I believe it's a design issue and the button mechanisms themselves are very prematurely failing mechanicly.

Customer Service says they are sending me a new remote but without a design change, I foresee a continual loop of failure every six months. At this point, I have to press down extremely hard to get any response at all. The right arrow button which is used the most is the worst.

I think you are right, retailers will desert the brand and we'll all end up with orphan devices and a lost cash outlay.

Unless Roku fixes this properly, I'll probably vote with my feet and buy another manufacturer's devices when these totally fail.

bobblick
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote: hard to press the buttons

Jump to solution

It is very frustrating. The right and left buttons are so hard, and I see others having the same problem. Thanks for pointing out that buying another remote won't make a difference. I tried to pair my remote from previous Roku and it won't do so. Seriously considering checking into the Amazon Fire to see if it's any better.

0 Kudos