Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote: hard to press the buttons

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @bobblick.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused your streaming on your Roku player. We want to look closely into this and find you the best resolution possible.

Before we proceed, we'd like to gather further information to better assess your concern. Kindly provide us with the following details below:

• Which specific Roku player was this remote connected to, and is this remote the one that comes with it? 
  • Also, which specific remote (identify your Roku remote) are you trying to pair on which specific Roku player? 

We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bobblick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the Roku® Streaming Stick® 4K and yes, this is the remote that came with it. It's a chore to push to get the right and left buttons to work. I tried to pair the remote from my previous Roku, which I think was the Express, but the Roku doesn't recognize it. The picture quality with the stick is nice but trying to scroll thru the channels is extremely hard.I have to push hard and sometimes hold the right and left buttons to get them to work sporadically. I'd prefer to use this over the apps my Samsung has but I gave up.

I actually replied to the email but realized I should probably reply here instead.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for the added infromation, @bobblick!

We appreciate you taking the time to try and pair your Roku Express remote with your Roku streaming stick. Please be aware that the Roku player (simple) remote is not compatible with a Roku stick player.

In this case, we will coordinate this with our Support team for further assistance. With this being said, kindly check your inbox as we will be sending you a Private Message regarding this matter.

Once again, your continuous patience and understanding are highly appreciated as we work on this.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Roku remote: hard to press the buttons

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue! I have to press hard on the right and down button. My kids can no longer use it. I’m very frustrated and considering switching away from Roku. Please help!

0 Kudos
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have been using my old remote, it made me realise just how AWFUL the current Roku remotes are, but the volume buttons on the old one have been disabled by a firmware update.

Roku is the ONLY company I know that actually removes critical functionality of a device with forced firmware updates.  The least they can do is STOP FORCING updates and publish all updates so that customers can choose what functionality they want.

Do we trust a company who treats customers with utter disdain and contempt to not be recording us via the microphone in the remote?

The EU and UK GDPR law breaking privacy policy of Roku leads one to assume the worst.

The fact of the matter is that Roku does not give a **bleep** about the manufacturing defects in Roku Remotes, I am calling all the big retailers in my country to let them know that they are liable for replacement under our consumer rights legislation.  I figure that if enough people make a claim then they will stop stocking Roku and only then will Roku change the design.

I am buying alternative product to test out, I will never buy Roku again, the Roku Trustpilot score of 1.4 shows the further contempt they have for customers. 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.roku.com

Share your own experiences.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @jhalloran83.

Firstly, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and no worries! We will coordinate this with our Support team to provide the best course of action regarding the issues you're currently experiencing with the right and down arrows of your Roku remote.

With this being said, kindly check your inbox as we will send you a Private Message to collect personal information such as the email address associated with your Roku account and more.

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated as we work on this. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lrh

Jump to solution

I am glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue. It's very frustrating. I've tried all of the tips I've read and nothing has worked. I'm ready to ditch Roku and go back to the fire stick! 

Please recall these remotes and replace them with better quality.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings from the Roku Community, @Lrh!

We appreciate you informing us about the issues you've been experiencing with the buttons on your Roku remote's functionality. We want to investigate this matter thoroughly to assess your concerns better and find a solution.

Kindly let us know the following details:

• Is this happening on your Roku Streaming stick 4K?
  • When did this issue start, and which specific buttons are hard to press?
  • Does the button work sometimes or not at all? Did it ever work when the player was new?

We eagerly anticipate your response.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuCarly  it is nice that you reach out to others but I can't trace such a request from you to me

From the plethora of complaints it should now be clear to you that there is a manufacturing defect, I have a Roku RC19 which is around 10 years old and not only does it work fine, but it is far more responsive.

The solution is surely a recall option for all customers and to STOP making these poor quality remotes.

I have TV's where the remotes have worked for over 20 years, the first thing I did when my Roku 4k started to fail was to swap it for one in another room.  It did not take long for that one to fail too, so I went back to the RC19 which showed me how bad the Roku 4k remote really is.

To answer your questions

• Is this happening on your Roku Streaming stick 4K? YES
  • When did this issue start, and which specific buttons are hard to press? It has degraded over the last few months, I did not realise just how bad it was until I swapped it out. The buttons most affected are the up down left and right, up and down most affected.
  • Does the button work sometimes or not at all? Did it ever work when the player was new?  All buttons worked when new, the top volume button does not have the tactile feedback on my newest Roku Stick but that is a separate problem.  The buttons may work if you repeatedly press them really hard but they are not fit for purpose because by that time it does not carry out the command you want as it thinks multiple depressions are required.

I think for US, EU and UK I think that it is only a matter of time before there is a class action demanding a recall, the product cannot be used practically without a remote, using a mobile app is just awful.

As far as I can see if your Roku Remote has an OK button it is not fit for purpose, not of reasonable quality and it will not work for a reasonable period of time.

There is further evidence on YouTube showing how some people try to fix them but others report that does not work on some of your models.  You also make matters worse by not using screws in the remote which might let some consumers have a go at fixing them.

I have seen some products with that rubbery material you use for the arrow buttons deteriorate and become sticky, based on the YouTube videos it does suggest this is a poor quality material that inhibits contact.  some of those videos suggest dismantling the Roku Remote (difficult without breaking) and wiping the contacts with Isopropyl Alcohol, but that is not cost effective and it is incredibly hard to open a Roku remote without breaking the clips and others say you have glued things together since so that can't be done anyway.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @DanUK.

Thank you for tagging me, and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused your streaming. I'd be happy to coordinate this with our Support team for further assistance and find you the best resolution so you can utilize your Roku remote at your convenience.

I'd appreciate it if you could provide me with additional details, including the serial number of the Roku device it was connected to, via Private Message. 

Your continuous patience and understanding are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.