Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BandC
Reel Rookie

Roku remote control batteries die in one week

Our Roku remote control batteries die in a week or less. I have read many posts on this, but have seen no solutions.

We have a ROKU model#4800X. Remote control has firmware rtn.4244.

The model # in the remote says RC-EL3, but on the TV "about" area says RC506.

We have never used the headphone option.

thank you for any help you can provide.

Bill

10 REPLIES 10
Flemmer

Re: Roku remote control batteries die in one week

They do have a life. Meaning they will always, continually die sooner or later.  But, if you stay home and watch tv using Roku every day, they will die sooner.

The biggest drain is if you use earplug headphones!  Even worse, if you leave the earphones plugged in after you turn off the Roku!

I use those earphones all the time, so I invested in rechargable batterys.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@BandC try popping the headphone connection in and out a few times. Perhaps the jack has a stuck connector that can be popped loose. The batteries in my 4800 remote will easily last 3-4 months with occasional use. Mostly my grandson uses it each school morning for about an hour, and then I use it each day to check for updates. I have the same remote on the same firmware as you do. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
BandC
Reel Rookie

Thank you, I will try that.

0 Kudos
BandC
Reel Rookie

I said right in my post that I do NOT use the headphone option.

Fred-in-CT

Bump ?

I recommended the Roku box to my S-I-L because I've had excellent functionality with my Ultra.  She now experiences this same phenomenon.  Had her reboot the Box and Remote and it still runs batteries down very quickly.

I've never had this happen with my Ultra remote with headphone jack.  Hers does not have this feature like you.

Any solution ?

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I've never had extreme battery drain issues like this, but the Roku Ultra voice remotes with the private listening headphone jack do use a lot of battery power, and that is without using the headphone jack because that will make it even worse!

The batteries usually have to be replaced in my remotes in less than three months and that's when only using it a few times a week and not even every single day! What I've been doing for a solution is removing the batteries from the remotes when I'm finished watching and then re-inserting them back into the remotes when I am ready to watch again. I just let the batteries rest in the case that slides off the remote so they don't roll off the table.

A pain for sure having to do this at all because you shouldn't have to remove batteries for this reason, but I have noticed that it does make a huge difference for me and the battery drain isn't nearly what it was before. I suggest others tries this as well, these remotes are a flawed design and they are always draining power from the batteries, even when you are not using your Roku. The battery drain issue in these Roku voice remotes have been going on for years and Roku has yet to fix the problem.

In my opinion Roku needs to completely redesign their remotes for all Roku players because this is really unacceptable. And while they are at it Roku needs to remove the Volume UP/DOWN & Mute buttons from the right side of the remote, that is such a stupid place to put those buttons because I'm accidentally pressing them all the time when simply grabbing my remote to pick it up! Those buttons belong on the top of the remote with all of the other buttons and there is absolutely plenty of room to make them fit with a few minor adjustments!

As I said, the Roku remotes are a poor design and require a completely new design and all customers should be given free upgrade/replacement remotes when they do! But that's complete wishful thinking on my part, I have no faith Roku will ever do that. Because that would be the correct thing to do and it's more cost effective for Roku to do nothing and continue to ignore this.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BandC, @Fred-in-CT,

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Please send us a private message including the type of Roku remote (simple, voice, or voice pro), shipping address, and phone number so we'll be able to proceed with the necessary steps to address this. To message us, select the name of a user. Once redirected to the profile, select the option "Send this user a private message."
We look forward to hearing from you.

To @Emissary35,

We appreciate you providing your suggestions, and we value your feedback. We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services. This has been noted, and if you need anything else, please let us know.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Maggiedor

We are being sold faulty equipment. I bought a new control late last year because it was draining batteries . This one does exactly the same . 

0 Kudos
Maggiedor

I don’t want a badge for joining I want a product that’s fit for purpose .

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.