Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfire7887
Reel Rookie

Roku remote buttons are also affecting TV volume

Jump to solution

various buttons on my Roku remote change my TV volume, either in addition to or instead of, what they should be doing

model 3900RW - Roku Express

software 13.0.0 build 24056-51

TV is branded RCA but no idea which company licensed the name rights in the mid-201x's

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote buttons are also affecting TV volume

Jump to solution

@jfire7887, it happens where remote signals for one device are the same or close enough to affect a completely different device.  You'll find old posts where people have said that their Roku remote turns on their fan or some other device.  There's nothing that can be done about it other than switching to a voice remote that doesn't use IR (infrared).

Accessories | Roku Player, Streaming Stick, Smart TV & Audio Accessories | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @jfire7887,

Welcome to the Roku Community! 

Thank you for reaching out to us about your Roku remote. We're pleased to assist.

Remote issues are different based on the type of Roku remote. Before you begin troubleshooting, first determine which type of remote you use with your Roku streaming device: A Roku simple remote or a Roku voice remote.

All Roku voice remotes have a voice button located near the purple directional pad. The button has either a microphone or a magnifying glass icon.

If your remote has a voice button, you have a Roku voice remote. If it does not, you have a Roku simple remote.

After you've figured out what Roku remote you have, visit the article for your specific remote.

If your Roku voice remote is not controlling the power and volume on your TV, learn how to fix TV control issues.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jfire7887
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't want my remote to control either TV volume or TV power.  I am fine using my TV remote for those.

0 Kudos
jfire7887
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I went to the article.  I have a simple remote, also referred to there as a players remote.

1) I am not having missed button presses.  My button issues are different and not addressed there.

2) I have alkaline Not for Retail Sale OEM Duracells that probably came with the unit.  Engraved dates are 11-2017 and 11-2024, presumably manufacture and expiration.  Note that my issue started happening a few years ago, I'm only now annoyed enough to look for help about it, so the batteries would've aged out too soon.

3) There is no corrosion on the batteries, and the remote is not warm (though the Express is).

That is all the article addresses, nothing about my specific issue.  Has the issue been seen before?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jfire7887, it happens where remote signals for one device are the same or close enough to affect a completely different device.  You'll find old posts where people have said that their Roku remote turns on their fan or some other device.  There's nothing that can be done about it other than switching to a voice remote that doesn't use IR (infrared).

Accessories | Roku Player, Streaming Stick, Smart TV & Audio Accessories | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
jfire7887
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

probably one of the reasons they went to a voice remote capability, to get away from the IR cross-device issue

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.