Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WindowsLite
Reel Rookie

Roku remote OK button will turn on the TV

I have an Emerson ET-1300 Portable TV, I have tried every code, and nothing works. I am using Roku Express 4K+. It is strange that the OK button will turn on the TV, but not the power, mute or volume works.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote OK button will turn on the TV

Hi @WindowsLite,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns regarding the issue between your Roku remote and TV. Rest assured, we are here to help you resolve this matter.

We’d like to suggest some steps you can try out to see if they make a difference:

Disable 1-touch play

On your Roku player, open the settings and disable 1-touch play using the steps below.

1. Select Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Control Other devices
  5. Uncheck 1-touch play if the box is checked
    • Note: If 1-touch play is not enabled, disable CEC on your TV instead. Contact the manufacturer if you are unable to locate the CEC settings on your TV.
  6. Power cycle your Roku player ( Go to Settings > System > System restart )

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
WindowsLite
Reel Rookie

I tried what you suggested, does not work. I tried all the codes for an Emerson TV, none work.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@WindowsLite-

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, you're not complaining that the remote OK button turns on the TV, but question why the power, volume, and mute buttons don't control those functions on your set.

The 1-touch play control function mentioned by @RokuJharra-Q is most likely what permits the OK button to turn on the TV.  This is one action that can be done by Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) signals sent over the HDMI.  Most TVs these days support this even if they don't support some of the other possible CEC control commands.  On most TVs that support this, if necessary, it will also switch the TV to the HDMI port to which the Roku is connected.  You'll probably find that other Roku keys like Home do the same thing.  @RokuJharra-Q suggested turning 1-touch play off as a diagnostic test to see if that is what is turning on the TV.  There's no need to disable this function if you're happy with having the remote do this.

As for the actual tv control keys (power, volume, mute), by default current Roku Voice remotes send the appropriate signals to your TV via line of sight infrared (IR) signals, like most TV remotes do. Different tvs have different sets of IR codes they accept, so you have to set up the remote to find and send the correct code set for YOUR tv.

Roku menu path:
"Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes"  
Arrow down to select your Remote.  Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for keeping us updated, @WindowsLite.

We appreciate your efforts in implementing the suggested steps. As our streaming expert mentioned, you have the flexibility to enable or disable this feature based on your preferences. Additionally, we encourage you to follow the guidance provided by @makaiguy in the "Setting Up Remote for TV Control" feature.

For more detailed assistance, our support page offers comprehensive instructions on how to set up your Roku voice remote to control your TV.

If the issue continues, please feel free to reach out to us via PM. We are more than willing to assist you further.

To send a private message, kindly select my username, click on "View Profile," and then choose "Send this user a private message" on the right side of the page.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
WindowsLite
Reel Rookie

The issue seems to be that so many companies manufacture Emerson TVs, it is hard to find codes that work. The name, Funai is one of them.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.