Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yesmcat
Reel Rookie

Roku Voice Remote Not Charging

Jump to solution

Our Roku Voice remote worked brilliantly for a while, but now will not charge above 8 - 10%, and quickly loses its charge after that. We had the same issue with our last Roku Voice remote so bought this one because we didn't know what to do to fix it - so this is our 2nd one with the same problem. We really can't buy another one again. We've tried different outlets and are using the charging cable that came with the remote. We have cleaned out the port, though it looks clean. Please help! Any suggestions to fix the problem or a way to get a replacement would be most helpful. The device we are using with the remote is:

TCL model 43S455

Hardware ID: G133X

Serial number: X012001CVPS2

Software version 12.5.5 - build 4174-CG

Device ID S0JNH2DCVPS2

Thank you! 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Voice Remote Not Charging

Jump to solution

@yesmcat-

I see many complaints of Voice Remote Pros that lose their ability to take a charge, but I have two of them, one for well over 2 years, and have noticed no loss of charge holding capacity or ability to charge. I don't know if I just happened to have gotten lucky and received good ones, or if my usage pattern has something to do with it.

Many (most? all?) rechargeable batteries deteriorate if repeatedly allowed to overcharge. Both my Samsung phone and Lenovo tablet even have optional features that will cut off charging before the battery reaches full charge to prevent or limit this deterioration.  (I've suggested to Roku that they add this capability to their Voice Remote Pros, but the suggestion seems to have dropped into a black hole.)

From day one I've always made it a point to disconnect my Voice Remote Pros from the charger when they reach full charge, or slightly before. I especially try to avoid letting them charge unattended overnight. The charger I use outputs 2 amps and the remotes charges fairly quickly. You can check the charge level via "Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > Voice Remote Pro > About" on your Roku. If I don't want to exit what I am watching just to check the charge level while charging, I just unplug from the charge cord and observe the popup that usually (not always) appears on the upper right corner of the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@yesmcat-

I see many complaints of Voice Remote Pros that lose their ability to take a charge, but I have two of them, one for well over 2 years, and have noticed no loss of charge holding capacity or ability to charge. I don't know if I just happened to have gotten lucky and received good ones, or if my usage pattern has something to do with it.

Many (most? all?) rechargeable batteries deteriorate if repeatedly allowed to overcharge. Both my Samsung phone and Lenovo tablet even have optional features that will cut off charging before the battery reaches full charge to prevent or limit this deterioration.  (I've suggested to Roku that they add this capability to their Voice Remote Pros, but the suggestion seems to have dropped into a black hole.)

From day one I've always made it a point to disconnect my Voice Remote Pros from the charger when they reach full charge, or slightly before. I especially try to avoid letting them charge unattended overnight. The charger I use outputs 2 amps and the remotes charges fairly quickly. You can check the charge level via "Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > Voice Remote Pro > About" on your Roku. If I don't want to exit what I am watching just to check the charge level while charging, I just unplug from the charge cord and observe the popup that usually (not always) appears on the upper right corner of the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
yesmcat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for these ideas. We do not overcharge our charger, as the cord is so short that we can't use it while charging. So we just charge it up to a relatively high percent and then unplug it until it's relatively low. Your thought of having charging automatically turn off is great! But in the meantime, do you know how we can request a replacement (or how we can contact a rep from the company)? I think we need one at this point. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @yesmcat,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We see that you're having an issue with your Roku Voice remote pro won't hold a charge. It seems like you've already done a couple of troubleshooting and workaround on this.

We're here to help. I've dropped you a PM on this.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos