Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cable-Guy
Channel Surfer

Roku TV volume ramp issues - Roku Ultra

Hi, I need help.

I’ve had this problem for the past year and was hoping it would eventually clear up but hasn’t.

TV Volume increases all the way up (non-stop) when I hit the ROKU remote volume up button just one click up.  Also, TV volume decreases all the way down (non-stop) when I hit the ROKU remote volume down button just one click down.  The issue does not happen 100% of the time the remote volume button is pushed but it does happen almost everyday that I use it.

This occurs on all 4 of my Roku Ultra 4802X devices connected to different brand TVs.

All Remotes are setup to control TV power and volume using IR.

Also, this occurs regardless of the app or channel that I am watching including simply being on the ROKU home screen.

All 4 of my ROKU devices are the same HW and SW listed below.

Roku Ultra 4802X

software version 12.5.0 build 4178-C2

Remote model  RC795 Voice Remote Pro

Remote Firmware rtn.4244

Here are the Issue IDs (if needed) from each of my 4 ROKU Ultra devices with this problem:

Roku 1.  Issue ID: UV-009-776

Roku 2.  Issue ID: H0-009-792

Roku 3.  Issue ID: DN-009-816

Roku 4.  Issue ID: J2-009-828

All Issue IDs showed the same GC version : 10.4.45 and had current date/time timestamp.

I have seen this issue brought up in other threads where the answer was to reboot/restart each Roku device.   I have been rebooting each device and even have removed the power cable waited a couple of minutes and then plugged back to restart; however, the issue remains.  The Volume ramps up and down when volume button is pressed once.

Trying to hang in there with Roku.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anthony

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku TV volume ramp issues - Roku Ultra

Hi @Cable-Guy,

Greetings from the Roku Community!
You're doing a great job troubleshooting the issue. We will be more than happy to assist you further. Please try to use the Roku mobile app to see if that will be able to fix the problem.

You may check out this support article here on how to install the Roku mobile app.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cable-Guy
Channel Surfer

Thank you John....greatly appreciate your help.
Unfortunately, the mobile app only controls the ROKU appliance navigation and not my TV power or TV volume.  It does have private listening mode for audio via the mobile app/phone and might be nice when it's only me watching but is not often.

I believe the issue that I am facing is due to the remote control buttons themself breaking down.  The Roku remotes do control my television via separate IR.  It appears that as the volume buttons age with useage this problem appears.  For my TV to ramp volume up or down non-stop means the remote is sending non-stop IR signals to it which I assume is due to the remote button function breaking down.
I say this because it is happening to all (4) of my ROKU Ultra remotes.

Would you know if Roku is working on a new remote model to fix this issue?
Also, would Roku, be interested in keeping me as a customer and send me new remote replacments?
<<even if the they send me the same remote model, I may be able to get another 8-10 months before it starts happening again>>.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cable-Guy,

Thank you for sharing this information with us!

Please be aware that it will vary depending on the Roku device you are currently using. The Roku mobile app has an on-and-off feature if you've ever used a Roku Ultra. In addition, could you check on your Roku remote to see if there is a stuck button?

We hope this helps, and we'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cable-Guy
Channel Surfer

Thanks again John.

Yes, all of my devices and remotes are Roku Ultras and I am familiar with them.   
The issue I am facing is specific to these remotes and their control of the TV volume.  All 4 remotes control TV on/off just fine; however all 4 remotes have the same TV volume control issues.
I physically checked each of the 4 Roku remotes volume buttons.  They are all clean, undamaged, and physically move up and down.  None of them are sticking.  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cable-Guy,

Thanks for keeping us posted!
We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the home screen and pressing the * button)?
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Could you send us a photo or video of your running problem?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cable-Guy
Channel Surfer

Device 1

Device Model: 4802X ROKU Ultra

Device Serial no: X01000YA7SUV

Device ID: S0DA224A7SUV

Software Version: 12.5.0 build 4178-C2

Tracker ID: UV-009-776

Device 2

Device Serial no: X0100082VLH0

Device ID: S0DA2242VLH0

Tracker ID: H0-009-792

Device 3

Device Serial no: X010009FGSDN

Device ID: S0DA223FGSDN

Tracker ID: DN-009-816

Device 4

Device Serial no: X010004FJDJ2

Device ID: S0DA223FJDJ2

Tracker ID: J2-009-828

All 4 ROKU devices have the same remote with same HW & SW:

Remote model  RC795 Voice Remote Pro

Remote Firmware rtn.4244

The issue happens regardless of which  app or channel ROKU is running.

It even happens without being in any  app or channel.  I did video it happening at the ROKU home page for you with no other app running or playing but I do not see any way to upload the video here.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cable-Guy,
Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!
For us to proceed with the appropriate action to resolve this, could you please send us a private message with your current shipping address and phone number?
To send a private message:

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  3. Click Compose New Message.
  4. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  5. Note: Depending on your role in the community, you might be able to send a message to a group of users based on their role or rank in the community. If so, you can choose a role or a rank.
  6. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  7. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  8. Click Send Message.
  9. You can look for the messages you've sent in the Sent tab.

To learn more about how to send a private message, click this Community link: Help - Roku Community
We'll be anticipating it!
Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cable-Guy
Channel Surfer

Thank you again for staying with me and helping...is greatly appreciated.

Just sent you a private message as requested.

Please let me know if I can assist further too.

Anthony

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cable-Guy,

Thank you for updating us!

We are grateful for your cooperation as you work through this Roku remote issues. Here, we'll do everything we can to give you the finest resolution we have.

Many thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos