Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superdimension
Reel Rookie

Roku Smart Soundbar cannot be accessed by remote or app

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have a Roku Smart Soundbar that is about 4 years old.  Suddenly, the remote stopped working.  Then I tried to access it via the iOS app, but it gave me an error message and told me to check that my Roku is "connected and on the network."  

I have reset the soundbar several times.  Each time, it reboots and shows the home screen with the current time, as if everything is working fine.  Based on something I saw on this board, I also unplugged the HDMI cable, to no avail.

I've also tried holding the pairing button on the remote, but it didn't seem to do anything.  In the past, even when there have been issues with the remote, I have always been able to use the app as a backup.

In sum, it seems to be working fine, but I cannot access or use it in any way.  Neither the remote nor the app work to navigate the menus.  After a few minutes, it goes to the screensaver.

All of this happened just as customer support went to bed at 10pm Eastern.  Any advice that any kind souls on this message board might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Smart Soundbar cannot be accessed by remote or app

Jump to solution

@superdimension 

Factory resetting the Soundbar wiped out the internet network and pass code it was set for, and so the cellphone app won't work any longer. It also clears all wifi remotes paired to it. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@superdimension 

Factory resetting the Soundbar wiped out the internet network and pass code it was set for, and so the cellphone app won't work any longer. It also clears all wifi remotes paired to it. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
superdimension
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to re-pair either the remote or the app.  

The Roku displays the home screen and current time, as if just waiting to be used, but nothing can seem to successfully access it, and eventually it goes to the screensaver.  I'm worried that it's essentially bricked.

It shows up in the app as a "previously connected device" that is "not available on this network."  One thing I've been hesitant to try is to "forget this device" from my app, though I suppose I don't have much to lose.

Any advice anyone might have for what could be wrong or how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
superdimension
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

OK so the real answer is a bit embarrassing:  I hadn't checked the batteries in the remote.  I only did that after a factory reset, which is a shame because it entailed setting up the Roku again.

CHECK THE BATTERIES, PEOPLE!

In my defense, I still haven't determined why I could not connect via the app.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.