Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgm1024
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku, STILL no keyboard/remote combo? Is this a patent encumbrance problem?

"optikhog" wrote:
"tgm1024" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:
I was going to post what twiceover posted.  I know it's not what you want, but using the YouTube app on your phone or (as I do) your tablet is SO much easier than using the Roku app.  Just link it to your Roku and whatever you choose on the phone/iPad will show on the TV.  

We'll probably start doing more of the casting thing.

Part of the problem though is that my kids are not allowed to have smart phones.  So this means that they have to run to get a tablet----and I disallow those being left all over the place.  Can't tell you how many times they've been sat on and knocked off the arm of the couch. (!)  I'd rather have something pseudo-indestructible right on the back of the same thing I'm using to click around.

Do what we did - grab a $35 Amazon Fire tablet and put an otterbox-style case on it.  The thing is virtually indestructible now.

Good idea, thanks, and point taken on the cost of these things nowadays.  In fact there may be a decommissioned phone in our future at some point, so perhaps that's the way to go.  Phone with one of those goodrich tires wrapped around it.
SJMaye
Roku Guru

Checking in on this older thread.  I, too, am looking for a remote control with qwerty keyboard for my Roku Ultra.  I would prefer to stay away from the workarounds like the Roku app or casting.  Isn't there just a remote with a keyboard?   I especially like to use one for youtube searches.
andyross
Roku Guru

The Roku does not understand any remote codes other than what is on most of the various remotes. It doesn't even support numbers.
0 Kudos
SJMaye
Roku Guru

That is a real limitation.  At least for me.  I use youtube a lot.  Creating searches with the virtual keyboard is a pain.  If I had voice search for that I could get around the need for  remote keyboard.

So, no one, Roku or 3rd party, offers a remote control with a keyboard?
andyross
Roku Guru

Since the IR and wireless only has a limited set of commands, the only way to get a full keyboard is through a network connection and app.
0 Kudos
SJMaye
Roku Guru

So by app you mean something like the Roku app?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Roku Guru

"SJMaye" wrote:

Correct.  The Roku App has a full keyboard that is usable in most channels.  The only way I use Youtube though is to find what I want to watch on my phone and cast it to the app on the TV.  
0 Kudos
beq
Channel Surfer

"andyross" wrote:
Since the IR and wireless only has a limited set of commands, the only way to get a full keyboard is through a network connection and app.

I was thinking about that years ago. Would it be possible for someone to make an (updateable) electronic physical controller that sends these ECP network commands?

Perhaps a universal model that can switch network API's to control the Roku/Apple/Fire/Android TV devices (with a virtual mouse for some Android/Fire TV apps, whether via touchpad, joystick or air gyroscope)?

A dev or someone experienced with Harmony et al can possibly speculate...
0 Kudos
SJMaye
Roku Guru

"twiceover" wrote:
"SJMaye" wrote:

Correct.  The Roku App has a full keyboard that is usable in most channels.  The only way I use Youtube though is to find what I want to watch on my phone and cast it to the app on the TV.  

The roku app does provide a keyboard, but the keyboard does not work in YouTube,  I tried using casting Youtube from my phone this morning.  Not the most convenient, but it works OK.  I will use it for searches.  
andyross
Roku Guru

"beq" wrote:
"andyross" wrote:

I was thinking about that years ago.  Would it be possible for someone to make an (updateable) electronic physical controller that sends these ECP network commands?

Perhaps a universal model that can switch network API's to control the Roku/Apple/Fire/Android TV devices (with a virtual mouse for some Android/Fire TV apps, whether via touchpad, joystick or air gyroscope)?

A dev or someone experienced with Harmony et al can possibly speculate...

It depends on how open the network command API is. If it's closed and only accessible by Roku, then 3rd party devices will not be possible.
0 Kudos