Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swosin

Roku Remote Stopped Working

Maybe this has been said before. But my Rolu remote just died. I was able to keep it going for a bit by moving the batteries around in yhe remote but that didn't work long enough and now, even with a new pair of batteries, it just won't work. I can't use the power button, the volume, nothing works. I did try to reset the remote until I realized that my remote doesn't have the capabilites to do that. So I figured maybe it was the TV, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, I used my phone to turn it on and see if it will work with my remote. Doesn't work. Then I reset the TV, and again. It still isn't working. So now I'm here wondering if I need to actually get a new remote or smth (idk if that's even possible) or maybe someone who also has experienced this can help me in my predicament. Small Thing: Sorry for the bad grammar. I'm typing this on my phone atm.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Working

Do you have a Roku TV or a Roku device connected to a TV?  Is it a voice remote with a microphone button and possibly a pairing button inside the battery compartment?  How old is the remote?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
casablanca

Hello,

I purchased 4 Roku Streaming sticks 4K for Christmas 2022. I have had a problem with all four in that the remote disconnects from the TV and I have to go through the set up process to relink or pair the remote to the TV. I use the USB power cable to connect to the USB port on my TV. I am careful to separate the wires in the back of the TV. 

3 of the remotes in question are used on TV's that are not used very often. When I do use one of these TV's, I will get to the app page and cannot move forward or backwards. I first thought that because of its lack of use, the remote lost its pairing with the TV.

One TV is used everyday. Regarding this often used TV, in the past 13 months, I have had to reset this Roku remote 4-5 times. It is frustrating because you expect to begin watching the TV when you turn it on and the screen will freeze and I cannot move forward or backwards. Or the inability to use the volume controls or the mute button will be the first sign of trouble. I will unplug the Roku stick which usually reboots the system and remove the batteries in the remote. However, sometimes I have had to push the reset button on the Roku streaming stick as well. I do all of this to get to the Roku start up page on the TV screen to start the activation. Lately, I have had to activate the streaming player again on my computer to re-link it to my Roku account.

Can you help me in troubleshooting what the problem is? Is there a problem with the streaming stick or the remote itself? The batteries for the remote have always been at full strength so I do not feel that the problem lies with them. I would appreciate any assistance you could give.

Thank you in advance.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @casablanca,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for flagging us about these remote woes and for the detailed information.

We'd like to ask for additional information about this in order to cover things up.

• When did you start seeing the issue occur?
  • Could you also share with us the serial number of the device with which it is paired?

Kindly share with us a bit more about this issue, and we'll further look into it.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos