Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
epsilon18

Roku 3 remote compatible with Roku 4k player?

Hi,

I have a family member who loves the weight, button layout, and overall comfort of their Roku 3 remote.  I would like to purchase a newer player (Roku Express 4k+ or Roku Streaming Stick 4k) so they can get the higher video quality, but they would not use it if they had to part with their Roku 3 remote. (They have seen the newer versions of the Roku remote and would refuse to use the newer players if it meant they could no longer use their current Roku 3 remote.)

From what I can gather from articles and their explanation of the remote, it sounds like it is a voice remote since they can operate the TV without line of sight to the TV, through Wi-Fi. According to an article (https://support.roku.com/article/360011621473) the Roku remote should be able to be paired to a new Roku device by pressing the back and home buttons for 5 seconds. Another article's (https://www.roku.com/products/accessories) frequently asked questions lists that, "Roku Voice Remote, Roku Voice Remote Pro, and Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition) work with all Roku TV models and audio devices, and most players (some older models may not be supported)," but my situation is the opposite - I want to use an older remote with a newer player.

Is anyone able to confirm if the Roku 3 remote is compatible with a Roku Express 4k or Roku Streaming Stick 4k?

Thank you for your time.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3 remote compatible with Roku 4k player?

@epsilon18 

If the Roku 3 remote is still working, yes it will pair to current models. And if you have newer tv with CEC feature, the volume keys should control the tv volume. Remember the Roku 3 remote doesn't have tv IR on board, so trying to program the tv in through remote menu won't work. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.