Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaggieS
Reel Rookie

Re: Remotes with numeric pad?

Jump to solution

I discovered a way to navigate around to my favorite channels in seconds - not minutes, instead of scrolling thru channels one by one on the antennae input (on-the-air) since there is no numerical pad that actually changes channels.  I don't know if anyone else has discovered this or not but it has definitely helped me.

In live tv I click on the left arrow to open the guide, including all my local stations.  Then I use the fast forward/fast backward buttons to fly thru the guide.  I can go from channel 2 to channel 450 in 3-4 seconds and then I can use the up and down arrows to 'fine tune' my channel selection.

Hope this helps someone else.  🙂

MotorcycleCindy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes using the fast forward and fast backwards is a known way to scan through the guide.. but maybe not in 3-4 seconds! 🤣

0 Kudos
MaggieS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, literally 3-4 seconds for me.  👍

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@MaggieS  I've complained often about the incredibly cumbersome navigation on the remotes, no numeric pad, and the voice function only works maybe half the time. Yet until tonight, not a single person has ever mentioned that using the fast forward & reverse buttons, does that function for scanning through the program guide!  Who'd have thought controls that usually only apply to viewing video, function also as navigational tools? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@StevenCee wrote:

Yet until tonight, not a single person has ever mentioned that using the fast forward & reverse buttons, does that function for scanning through the program guide!  

Well, I know I've mentioned it in previous threads. Doesn't mean it was easy to find, but it is buried here somewhere. 😄

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Chris68
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Just to give thanks and Kudos to motorcycle Cindy, the Insignia remote does give the option to input a station channel. 🤗 I had a different model (NS-RC02A-12) but very similar to hers. so I assume other Insignia models may work as well. All the other Roku options worked as well including a few extras. Unfortunately I wasn't able to build an (Insignia) favorite channel list that could be scrolled through with one button but it is an easier remote for my 89 year old mom to understand. Now if only I could find a FS remote with a working number pad she would understand I'd be sitting pretty.  😄😂

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I bought a Roku TV set. I spent days searching for a STANDARD remote control, which must include numbers 0 through 9, that would function on a Roku TV set. I determined it's impossible to obtain one. The designers of Roku were not intelligent enough to allow numbers 0 through 9 to work on their products. I gave the TV set away for free because I considered it to be worthless. With 21 TV sets in my home ranging in quality from 8 to 9.9, there was simply no way I would allow a quality of 1.2 to be amongst the rest. I will not have such inferior products in my household and I will not subject myself to the torment of having a remote control with less than 40 buttons on it. Maybe if we force the Roku engineers to use car stereos with only 7 buttons on them, instead of over 40 buttons (including preset stations), they will come to understand the importance and the ease of use that goes along with having over 40 buttons on a remote control.

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

As noted, Roku only controls the software. The manufacturers could include numbers, and I think a few do.

0 Kudos
Danny8
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

When you're on a channel you don't want, hit the * key and choose "hide channel"

0 Kudos
rick230944
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Motorcycle Cindy,

I bought q 32" TCL Roku TV & very disappointed the remote doe not have a numeric pad.

Sorry to ask but does the Insignia. NS-RC4NA-14  actually work on your TCL Roku TV & do you think it will work on my TV? Is Insignia. NS-RC4NA-14 a universal remote?

Thanks for a reply.

Regards,

Richard.

0 Kudos