Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmh53
Reel Rookie

Remotes stopped working for TV please help me

I have had to replace the voice remotes on both tvs within this last year.  How long are they supposed to last?  I have unplugged the device itself, removed batteries and put in new ones on the remote but the remote just quit working.  I already bought a new remote and set it up just fine on the existing device so I know it's been the remote both tv's both times.  These things cost me $20 each time so what gives on the longevity of the remotes?  I still have both of the ones that quit working.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remotes stopped working for TV please help me

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @mmh53!

We appreciate you reaching out for support and for letting us know about the issues you've experienced with your physical Roku remote. We'd be happy to provide further information and suggest troubleshooting steps to help you fix this. 

What specific Roku model are you having this issue with? If this is the remote for your TCL Roku TV, we highly suggest purchasing a remote directly from TCL, as they manufacture their own player hardware, including their remote. 

We also recommend the Roku TV Remote, which works well with all Roku TV models. 

In the meantime, you may refer to our support article for the troubleshooting steps to help you fix your Roku remote

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mmh53
Reel Rookie

The TVs are non-Roku TVs.  I have the stick connected to a USB port and use the remote that is compatible with that.  Both have gone out in less than 6 months or so and do not respond to the recommendations for fixes on ROKU website, etc.  That is why I finally had to buy new remotes at $20 a pop.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the added information, @mmh53.

Review the tips below for improving the connection with your Roku voice remote.

• Use the advanced wireless receiver or long-range Wi-Fi receiver included with your Streaming Stick. The wireless receiver is part of the USB power cable that must be attached to your Roku Streaming Stick. It reduces wireless interference and allows your Roku Streaming Stick to connect to your wireless network.
  • Install an HDMI® extension cable. When using a Streaming Stick that is connected directly to an HDMI port on your TV, wireless interference from the HDMI connector may impact the performance of your remote. You can move your Streaming Stick by installing a free HDMI extender.

For further details and troubleshooting steps, you may visit our support article on How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I have numerous Roku devices, and have never had to replace a remote because of lack of functionality. I even have an old 2 XS, which is now more than ten years old, that still functions if I take it out of the drawer. Roku remotes should last for a long time. That's not to say they can't fail, because all electronic devices can fail. Unfortunately, you can only use a voice remote on a Roku Stick, as they do not support using a simple IR remote. 

I do want to offer a couple of suggestions. First, I suggest not using the USB port of the TV to power your Stick. I realize it's convenient, but USB ports on TVs don't always provide sufficient power for the Roku, especially the Stick models with the WiFi receiver built into the USB cable. Which reminds me, you are using the USB cable that came with the Roku Stick, correct? Your WiFi (and remote) won't work if you use a generic USB power cable.

My other suggestion is to look closely at the battery case in your remote. Different remotes have different battery orientations, with some having both batteries placed in the same direction and others have them in opposite directions. Make certain your batteries are inserted correctly for that remote. The battery case will indicate the correct orientation.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.