Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luit
Channel Surfer

Are Remotes Prone to Breaking

YES, they are!  I too have had 3 or 4 remotes (for 2 different devices) go bad (I'm losing track because both remotes for both devices are just breaking every few months).  Until this point, I would tell the chat and be sent another one.  Now I'm being told that I have to buy the next one.  This is for a device that is less than 2 years old.  I'm upset and will not buy my next device from Roku unless they send me a remote that doesn't break. I have been a loyal roku customer for years (have bought 3 devices in that time).  This is really frustrating.

0 Kudos
SassySharkie
Reel Rookie

Re: Are Remotes Prone to Breaking

I've had two go bad as well now! One I had for quite a while, this last one I just got in December of 2023. It's only April of 2023 and the right arrow button is nearly impossible to press. Super frustrating! Tried new batteries, re-pairing it to the roku device, NOTHING. The right button still seems almost incredibly hard to press. The quality now is so poor it's ridiculous!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @luit.

We appreciate you letting us know about the remote issues you've experienced. We'd like to look closely into this and determine the cause. 

Could you please specify the indication of it being broken? Do certain buttons malfunction? Are you unable to pair it? Or are there any lights flickering when you try to press buttons on your remote? Also, please let us know the following details:

• Specific Roku player the remotes were connected to.
  • The specific Roku remote you are having these issues with.

With more detailed information, we will be able to assess your concern better and provide you with an accurate resolution. Once again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @SassySharkie!

We appreciate you taking the time to report about the right arrow button of your Roku remote being unable to function well and our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. No worries! We're here to find you the best resolution possible.

We'd like to gather further information about this so we can provide you with an accurate resolution possible:

• What specific Roku player this remote were connected to?
  • Is this the remote that comes with that Roku player?
  • Where did you purchase this?

We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SassySharkie
Reel Rookie

@RokuCarlyHello, I've answered your questions below.

- This remote is connected to Roku Streaming Stick 4k (Model 3820).

- No, the remote that came with the player (RC-GZ1) broke in the exact same manner, the right arrow button was no longer able to be used. I believe that I am using a very similar, if not the same remote model as my replacement. The current remote I am using is a remote that I was gifted. It is the RC-A1R (According to the retail packaging. The inside of the remote states it is an RC-GZ1). Both remotes have push to talk, volume control, TV control, shortcut buttons, and require AA batteries. As a consumer, the only difference I can see between the remotes is the pre-set shortcut buttons are different. The RC-GZ1 that came with the player has Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV, and Discovery+ for the shortcut buttons. The replacement RC-A1R remote has Netflix, Disney+. Apple TV, and Paramount+.

To make this additionally confusing, the inside of both remotes list the model number as RC-GZ1. The remote that I was gifted, however, came in a box which on the outside states that the model number is RC-A1R.

- I do not know where the product was purchased as it was gifted to me in December of 2023 as a Christmas present.

Please let me know what actions can be taken to remedy this issue of two remotes breaking in the exact same manner. Thank you!

0 Kudos
luit
Channel Surfer

I have had 3 or 4 remotes for my two devices break by going "dead".  Meaning, no response to any of the trouble-shooting steps.  With the previous ones, I have been provided replacements, but now the replacements are doing the same thing, and I'm being told by agent support that I will need to purchase the next one. The one currently not working was connected to an express 4k+.  The remote is a Voice Remote.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the added information, @SassySharkie@luit.

We appreciate you providing us with precise details of your remote concern. In this case, we will coordinate this with our Support team for further assistance and would like to request your existing troubled remote for investigation. 

Kindly check your inbox as we will be sending you a Private Message to gather personal information such as the email address associated with your Roku account and more.

Your continuous patience and understanding are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
luit
Channel Surfer

Ok, thanks.

0 Kudos
Cmcrow76

Re: Remotes are cheap and break regularly

Yes the remotes are garbage. I have two Roku TVs I purchased four remotes in 3 years. None have been trouble three while they were working either..

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remotes are cheap and break regularly

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Cmcrow76!

Thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you have been encountering with your Roku remote. We are committed to investigating the matter thoroughly and providing you with further information.

Please note that if you are using a Roku-branded TV such as TCL, ONN, Hisense, or any other brand, we strongly advise you to contact your TV manufacturer for assistance with the remote control. This is because each TV brand designs its own remote controls that are optimized to work with its specific TV hardware. Our support is limited to the software operating system of your TV only.

Refer to this link to help you contact the right support: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Furthermore, if you have a Roku TV Pro Series, Plus Series, or Select TV, please don't hesitate to let us know if you're having issues with your Roku remote, or you may refer to our website to look for replacement remotes. 

We hope you find this information helpful. 

Happy Streaming!
Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos