Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CornKob80

Remote whining/high pitch noise

Remote doesn’t work and makes high pitch noise. 
model: RC406

streaming stick model: 3810RW

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote whining/high pitch noise

Hi @CornKob80,

Welcome to the Roku Community! 

Thank you for sharing your first post with us. We see that you're seeing this behavior going on your remote. To see more on what's going on here. Could you tell us when did you start seeing this occur? What are the troubleshooting steps have you taken so far in trying to address this? Is the remote that came along with the device?

Tell us more about this so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

@RokuERey 

Hi,

I have the same problem that many others have reported to this community site across many topics. I searched them all but did not find a solution to correct the issue with the remote; except for solutions that end with a final comment "...your information was sent to Support". 

PROBLEM STATEMENT

The remote control that came with the Roku 4 streaming player makes a clicking or whining noise every few seconds, and is no longer functional. The streaming player works as expected with the universal remote control, and Roku iOS app.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Install batteries into the remote and it immediately begins clicking. If left long enough, it will start to whine loudly at random intervals (almost like audio feedback from speaker to mic coupling).

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS

Although there are no specific troubleshooting steps listed for this specific problem, I went along with the reset procedure listed in the Support articles (this is the same link posted by other moderators in other threads of this same topic). This did not resolve the issue as I think the remote just bricked with the longest death cry I have ever heard. Replacing the batteries with new ones does not correct this issue.

HISTORY

The unit has been functioning as designed for over a year. A couple weeks ago I heard what sounded like water drops falling on the floor. I searched high and low and did not find the leak. I moved my tv unit out of the way while searching and discovered the dripping sound followed it. That is when I picked up the remote and could hear the clicking sound.

EQUIPMENT

Roku 4 Model 4400X / Serial: 4U75AA684537

Remote Model RC-TR2 / SKU: 3226000146

Please help us, and thank you!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @not_a_robot,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate your efforts in taking the time to share with us the issue you're experiencing with your remote.

We'd like to help you out with this and it seems like you've already provided adequate information about it. I sent you a PM for further information.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.