Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scrabbner

Remote stopped working—only works a couple seconds at a time,

I have a voice remote. I’ve tried everything on the list and it still is not fixed. Happened out of nowhere with no other changes. It works for a couple seconds if i re-pair device, then stops working, then will work for a couple more seconds after waiting 30 seconds or so. Iphone remote app works normal but is far from ideal. No actual customer support has me wanting to throw away my Roku forever.

23 REPLIES 23
TorianEC
Streaming Star

Re: Remote stopped working—only works a couple seconds at a time,

Same for me. It stays connected for a while, and then all of a sudden stops working.

Don't know if this will help, but I have found that if I flip the remote over and hold down the small button at the bottom for a second, it will reconnect.

hope this works for you. Having said that, we should not have to be doing this! Thanks for posting this issue.

Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

This has been an on going issues with Roku's remotes for quite some time. Check out this 10 page thread that started two years ago.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/How-to-fix-Roku-remote-that-constantly-stops-working-even-with...

It's obvious Roku isn't interested in fixing the problem. 

Had one of my remotes replaced once, but the new one is even worse than the original one. Stops working all the time, even with a fresh set of batteries. 

TorianEC
Streaming Star

Thanks for the reply, but my remote is newer voice remote for the Roku Ultra 2022, and does not use batteries at all. Only recently, probably since the last upgrade, my remote has stopped connecting intermittently, even in the middle of a movie.

The solution I provided is for those that do not have batteries. Pressing the small button on the bottom back reconnects it, but I should not have to do that. Apologies.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Spartan_Warrior @Scrabbner

Thanks for taking the time to flag this behavior on your remotes. We'd like to help.

Could you tell us when did you start seeing these changes and how long you have been experiencing this?

Please let us know more about this so that we'll be able to assist you further.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TorianEC,

Thanks for the post!

We would recommend leaving your voice remote pro charged overnight and then trying again to see if you see there are any differences after doing that.

And please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TorianEC
Streaming Star

Thank you for your suggestion but the remote was fully charged. Again, this is only been happening since the most recent software update which was on October 17, Version 12.5.0, build 4178 – C2

I would not be reporting this if it were an anomaly.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @TorianEC!

We'll communicate this to the concerned teams and will provide an update here once we have it available.

As a workaround, you can use the Roku mobile app to control your device in the meantime.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

A remote with no batteries? How is that possible? Sounds like it has a rechargeable built in battery. 

I definitely have a different remote, but it's the same old problem that all the Roku remotes seem to suffer from.  They just stop working from time to time for some reason. I found if I pull the batteries out put them back in again, it will work for a little bit again. Frustrating as **bleep**. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Spartan_Warrior,

We're sorry for the inconvenience. We're currently communicating this case to the right team and will make sure to provide an update here.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.