Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richd-Den
Channel Surfer

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

The problem did not start until some time after I purchased the Ultra. I looked into it and did something (I don't recall what) which seemed to correct the issue. I'm on version 12.5.0 as of 11/1/2023. It started again possibly after the update but I didn't really make note, I just kind of lived with it. The volume may also be involved in this as it will change drastically...it is connected to my LG TV which is connected to a SONY AVR AN1000. 

I restarted and also pulled the plug. There is also another new issue with the SONY which I bought last week that is not part of this string.

0 Kudos
Mark_wooley
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My remote just started jumping channels & videos (it's only a couple weeks old)..

Is there a warranty to replace the malfunctioning remote? 

0 Kudos
iRdMoose
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Rey,

I'm not sure when this behavior started, or what the triggering event was. I think it started in October or November, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Looking at my search history on Google, I started digging in and troubleshooting this behavior on November 9.

It started occurring very infrequently and over the past couple of months it's gotten worse in frequency. Restarts have no effect on the behavior, and it seems to occur most frequently with YouTube.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Richd-Den,

We appreciate you letting us know about this.

We understand you are having problems with your Roku remote. We would be happy to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Please provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.).
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).

@Mark_wooley,

We'll be glad to assist you with your Roku remote that is jumping channels and videos. Please try to restart your system by going to Settings > System > Power (skip this step if no option is available) > System Restart. You can also update your system. If the issue persists, is it happening on all contents or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel? (Specify) What software version is your Roku device currently running? (You can check on Settings > System > About.).

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Valtarr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra and was skipping channels also my volume button was changing as an additional issue.      Clean the roku ultra and the remote ( and in my case the EERO wifi ) with an eye glasses lens cleaner pad. Make sure the infared area on the devices is cleaned too. This seems to have worked for me. Not sure if its dust interferance but so far si good.

0 Kudos
Richd-Den
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you @Valtar. Somehow it stopped doing it on its own. This is the second round of the skipping and I don't know what I did.

I also have other issues that are not skips that some and go.

0 Kudos
iRdMoose
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah, I don't know that cleaning the remote fixed the issue. Like @Richd-Den my Ultra stopped doing the skipping on its own at some point in the last week. As far as I can tell my Roku hasn't gotten any updates since the one it picked up on 11/1/23.

Also, I have my Roku tucked away in a place where the IR can't get to it, and I was replicating the issue with the remote from the Roku 4K Streaming Stick on my Ultra as well. My wager is there was probably some remote firmware update that slipped out that resolves the issue. I'll keep an eye out for the behavior returning on mine.

Also, while wiping down your WiFi access point to keep dust off and out of it is a good idea, it will have little to no impact on this sort of issue.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have no button inside battery case, every one keeps saying to do that, but where is it? Thanks very much 

0 Kudos
RoyElam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

On the back side of the remote near the bottom is a small depression with the button in the middle, press it and hold with an ink pen tip or whatever to reset/pair.

Do it with the TV on and with the Roku Home Screen showing.

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Does your remote have a microphone button? If not, it's an IR-only remote and doesn't get paired.

Otherwise, it may be the newest version where pairing is done by holding home and back at the same time for ten seconds.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.