Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joekam
Streaming Star

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

download a free ROKU remote control app on to your smartphone and control it that way, you need a new remote or your roku is broken. loading the phone remote will tell you which one

0 Kudos
VA1DER
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuBen What is diagnostic of the two skipping issues?

0 Kudos
SooSkye

Jump to solution

Quick fix.....

Home

Settings

System

Power - if no button then just next page

System restart

I'm sure it's not that easy or everyone else would have sorted it out but it's working for right now!

0 Kudos
jayhawk_1995
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Correct - not that easy. Sometimes fixes for 5-10 minutes, sometimes it doesn't work again immediately. I'm having this issue on more than one TV so I hate to blame an individual remote. They are both 4K streaming sticks. This morning I used the remote without issue... other times it's a &$#% show. Doesn't seem to be a consistent trigger to what causes it to happen - or to stop it. 

Review of issue:

• With press of remote button (forward, backward, pause, play, home, back), the menu moves 3-6 spaces
  • Happens on main menus and within apps like Netflix
  • Happens inconsistently
  • Doesn't happen when using the mobile app as a remote
  • Happens on more than one TV using the same type of Roku streaming stick and remote (but not the exact same one - two different sticks and remotes with the same issue)

Things that have been suggested but don't resolve it:

• Power cycling from the menu doesn't fix it
  • Unplugging for 10 minutes doesn't fix it
  • Uninstalling/reinstalling Netflix doesn't fix it
  • Changing batteries on the remote doesn't fix it
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the added information, @jayhawk_1995.

We fully acknowledge the issue regarding the remote and appreciate you for trying to troubleshoot it by performing the procedures we provided as a workaround. Please be aware that our Support team has been made aware of this and is trying to reach you by email. Kindly check your inbox for updates from them. 

In the meantime, we highly appreciate your patience and understanding as we work on this. 

Sincerely,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vgatkinson1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This is getting ridiculous! I saw where the problem was posted in this thread thst it was from the sw update 12.0 done in May of this year. Now a new update came up on my Roku 9/19/23 12.5 so I updated my Roku. Thinking and hoping Roku has fix the software problem with this new update. How wrong I was one last night it started doing the exact same skipping again!! I have done everything suggested,  the unplugging the restarting everything change the batteries let it sit for a while, etc.etc. and it still continues to have the same problem! Has anyone found anything that works for more than just a few days or a few weeks? 

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Vgatkinson1can you describe the skipping?  Is it happening only while in specific channels or at the home screen?  What device are you using?  Are you using an IR remote, an RF remote, or the Roku mobile app?

We're pretty sure we solved the issue around the 50 day uptime, but we know there are other problems. We've internally seen some issues with slower devices, like the original Roku Express, that are still being investigated.

0 Kudos
Streamer308
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Repeat after me....Amazon Firestick!! Solved my problem!

0 Kudos
Vgatkinson1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

it will work fine a while and then if I push any button on the remote it will act like I’ve pressed it about 8-10 times. This happens on all apps, Home Screen, everywhere! I have the streaming stick 4k which is only about six months old. It is an IR remote.   It has been working fine up until now. Then after coming on the site, searching for any type of explanation, I say 37 pages of the same problem.  

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Vgatkinson1,

Greetings!

Thanks for sharing this information with us, and we understand that you're having the skipping tile issue. Here are some workarounds to resolve the issue.

• System restart - navigate to Settings > System > Power (skip if no sub-menu) > System Restart.
  • Unplug your Roku device for 1 minute, then plug it again once more.

We hope this works!

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.