Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

@tooltime51 if you're seeing this affect YouTube, it's a different bug than the one we've been investigating. Does your problem get solved by rebooting the device?

0 Kudos
RoyElam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The source does not matter, it does it on roku channel, Amazon prime, flash drive, youtube TV etc.  

It’s like the volume button just sticks on up or down.
When it first started it was occasional like once a day, the frequency has increased and now it is about every other time I use it and it always goes completely up or completely down in volume. 
It works but is sticking, my Samsung remote that came with the TV controls the volume with no issues.

RoyElam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It makes no difference what the source is, it will do it on any screen. 
I have rebooted, re-set up, powered off for extended time etc.  

It seems to be a sticking switch.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Before trying all sorts of solutions, try what we did.   We had the same problem, so we first tried using our phone as a remote which functioned perfectly.  That confirmed the problem was with the remote.   So, we went to the ROKU website and watched their video about resolving remote issues.   We followed their instructions for re-pairing our remote with the ROKU box and, after we did, the remote works perfectly again.  I'm no electronics expert, so I can't tell you why this worked, but it did! 

0 Kudos
RoyElam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I did that when it first started doing this. 
Per your suggestion I did the setup again a few minutes ago, I will know the results soon enough. 
Thanks for the suggestion. 
Fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Doditty

Jump to solution

Thank You!

0 Kudos
Kjwhite1818
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is happening on all 5 TVs in my house. Doesn’t matter what channel or app you use. I can’t search as it skips 5 letters at a time. Skips a channel x3 or more on one touch. It is not a battery issue. 

0 Kudos
RoyElam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It has been a few hours and the volume issue has not occurred yet. 
I pared the remote to the TV again.
Have people experiencing the issue with channel changes tried to re-pare and do setup again? 
It may be a entirely unrelated issue to mine since channel change is a Roku thing and volume is a TV thing.
My last remote did the runaway thing on both volume and channels… weird. 
I believe paring completely resets the remote.

Jump to solution

Best thing I found was just to download the roku remote and use that. Forget trying to get help from Roku itself.

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Kjwhite1818  Thanks for posting. 

Can you post the Roku model numbers for your devices?  Can you confirm that you're seeing the skipping behavior when you're on the Roku home screen, like using the Search menu from the top-level?  Are your devices connected by WiFi or Ethernet?  When you go to Settings / System / About, what is the "uptime" shown for the devices?

We're currently mainly investigating an issue that seems to happen on devices with a very long uptime (50 days or more) and affects how the key presses get sent into applications, but data showing this happening a different way would be very useful.

0 Kudos