Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyElam
Streaming Star

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

I did a re-pairing when the runaway volume first started happening, at some point it started doing it again until the volume control became a real problem by going max volume to zero volume at a touch. 
As was suggested I did it again (paire) and the issue is fully resolved. 
I have no idea why this happens. 
To those that have this issue with channel control I would suggest you re-paire and setup the remote again, this will force a reset of the device and might fix the issue.

Put your voice remote in pairing mode:
  1. Press and hold the pairing button on your voice remote for 20 seconds. ...
  2. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash. ...
  3. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.
  4. Do the on screen setup: IE TV type & ‘do you hear the music’.
  5. Hope it helps!
0 Kudos
Kgolba

Jump to solution

This worked!!!

0 Kudos
joekam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have found it is likely the TV app handler issue. This is because you will notice it does not skip when you are on main page of tv selecting an app channel. Only when you are in the channel app and selecting from within it. This is a bug in the main ROKU tv operating system handling homepage software ever since they updated the roku sw. The main operating SW is the ROKU home page  and it works fine no double clicks or skips. However, when you select an app and go to it, the Main roku system is supposed to still receive the IR buttons you push and NOW send them to the APP. But somehow the main Roku operating system is adding clicks now. It does not happen if you use a phone IR app to send button presses to the roku because those devices do not send the whole package data to the TV sw only the button press info. The handheld remote for your tv sends more than a button press command with each button pressed. it sends a tv command data package and the button press info in it. The Cell phone apps are generic and only send the button press data in the package because it must work with all tvs. They only follow the format of a TV command. Clearly the problem is ROKU tv sw on some tvs has been screwed up by roku and they have not fixed it. You can reset the TV to factory, and dont let it update to the new operating system. that is a mess. or buy a generic remote or use the phone app

0 Kudos
JDeCamp

Jump to solution

I posted this in a separate thread.  Searched for the topic but couldn't find it.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-home-menu-is-un-controllable-on-roku/850631/2

Server Version#: 1.32.5.7349-8f4248874
Player Version#: 7.6.1.8501-67117911f-Plex (Roku)

Two days ago (Aug 14) the Plex home menu became un-uasable. When attempting to select a show or movie to watch the selection tool becomes uncontrollable.

A single click to the left or to the right (or up & down) of the remote will cause the selection to go uncontrollably in whatever direction it is commanded to instead of just going to the next title. This is true in all of the libraries and is happening on multiple Roku devices (two different Roku Ultra’s and one Streaming Stick 4k) connected to this Plex Media Server. This is not a malfunction of the Roku remotes, as it is happening on multiple TVs, multiple devices, each with different remotes (all Roku’s, I have nothing else to test on).
Works fine on Ios mobile app, but thats a point and touch interface, not a scroll and click like the Roku’s

I have rebooted the media server multiple times (both rebooting just the application, but also rebooting the entire machine, as well as a complete shut down, Power Off, wait, restart), run cache cleaner, searched for updates (which I cannot find any of) it seems I’m running the latest version. Nothing else is running on the Mac other than Plex.

At a loss of what to do next to fix this.

Thanks!

Plex Media Server v1.32.5.7349-8f4248874
MacOSX 10.14.6 (18G9323)
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) MacPro5,1
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Radeon RX 580 8 GB

7.6.1.8501-67117911f-Plex
Plex for Roku
Roku Ultra

7.1.1.8323-1967c5acb-Plex
Plex for Roku
Streaming Stick 4K

0 Kudos
joekam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I am confident this does not happen in the ROku home menu. You need to reset your tv to the old version SW, and do not let it update, by disable automatic updates. The new Operating sw for Roku has a bug. The Mobile apps to change channels do not have the header information in the data package the regular remote has. There seems to be an error in the new SW for operating system of Roku for tvs. That operating system collects the remote info and passes it to the TV app your running. When you are in roku main menu it works fine. For some reason when the system passes it to the tv app, it has multiple click commands added to it. When you use a phone app to change tv settings it sends a generic TV command with no header. It is sending a direct button push to the tv that's on the tv, but remotely. When you use the remote it sends a data package to the Roku operating system, not the TV . The only solution is when and IF Roku will fix the bug they made, or you need to reset your tv to factory , and hope it is old enough to not have the new operating system. Then turn automatic updates and never update the roku operating system . 

0 Kudos
RoyElam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I don’t have a Roku TV to test on but what so are saying sounds very plausible. 
I think the free standing devices like Roku Ultra have another issue. 
(Maybe 🤔)

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello, @JDeCamp .  Just to confirm, you rebooted the Roku devices here -- if so, does the Plex problem happen immediately after the reboot or does it take some time?  Do you see this problem in any other streaming apps on those devices?

0 Kudos
joekam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Reload the device to factory settings. Then do not let it load updates to firmware, You need to go into setting and disable autmoatic updates. Roku Ultra: How to Factory Reset (Hard Reser) without Remote (Use Button on Roku Ultra) - YouTube

0 Kudos
joekam
Streaming Star

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Brownfam641
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the same skip this year with my Roku ultra LT.  It is super frustrating. I bought a new remote and I’m still having the same issue.

0 Kudos