Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

Hi @NoHelmet,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're experiencing an issue with the skipping interface, and we're sorry about the trouble. Have you tried performing a system restart to see if it resolves the issue? If not, we recommend doing so. To do this, go to Settings > System > System Restart.

Please keep us posted on how it works.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NoHelmet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuTakashi 

I have, and just like everyone else, it resolves the issue temporarily but not permanently. 

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

One data point that would be very useful is how long it's taking for the problem to happen again after a restart.  That will point to what kind of resources aren't being freed during normal operation.

Roku does not collect data about button presses as that could be associated with personal information we avoid collecting, which means detecting when a device is in this state isn't something we can tell from the service end.

0 Kudos
FB10331
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I rebooted my Roku Ultra on July 8th, it's still working (on 24 July 2023) with no skips. I'll let you know when it happens again.

CYCLNZ
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION, MAKE SURE TO RESTART YOUR ROKU.

SETTINGS > SYSTEM > POWER > SYSTEM RESTART > RESTART

I restarted both of my Roku devices in two different locations about a week ago and it has fixed the problems with both and it hasn't come back. 

This thread is so long that nobody is going to read every post and therefore may miss the simple fix I posted in CAPS.  It may not be a permanent fix, but if the problem comes back due to a memory leak or something like that, I assume a restart will fix it again for an extended period of time.

aaronhb
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't know if there's a difference between a restart and pulling the plug, but I unplugged both the power cord and the HDMI cable about 20 days ago. I left it unplugged for around 15 or 20 minutes. (That part was not intentional, I just got distracted so it was unplugged for longer that I would normally have left it) All I can say is that the problem was gone and has not come back. It seems to me that people who have had the problem come back have done a reset rather than unplugging the power. I have a Roku Ultra.

Jump to solution

I unplugged the Roku and let it sit for 5 minutes and plugged it back in and it worked without skipping channels anymore. It solved the problem. Give it a try. Good luck. 

0 Kudos
12gauges5w
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The fix that I used and posted thus far (3 weeks) has been permanent 

0 Kudos
Vtcrusade
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree with you 100%. I have two Roku Express units on completely different TV's on completely different floors of my house.  Never an issue with them skipping over channels in various apps. Within the past 2 weeks BOTH units now skip over channels in Pluto TV and Haystack app.

The odds of 2 remotes dying at the same time? Low.  Both have fresh batteries.  I think this is due to a software update Roku did.

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Please report back after rebooting the devices if this doesn't clear up the issue.

0 Kudos