Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex9571
Channel Surfer

Remote only works from 1 feet away

Jump to solution

Hi I opened a ticket with ROKU, that is, I got a ticket number back but no response since #8138080

Anyway I bought a Roku Express 4K Media Streamer with Remote, in May for my in-laws and they didn't set it up until the other day. Turns out that the remote will not control the streamer from further than 1 foot away from the device. I've looked at other posts and tried changing batteries, pressing home and back, took it to my house to control my Roku and it does not work further than 1 foot away. All I want is to return it and get a replacement ( ! year warranty?) Store won't replace since past 30 days. When will Roku respond to my ticket number?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote only works from 1 feet away

Jump to solution

Hi @Alex9571,

We appreciate your precise explanation.

We regret any trouble this has caused you but no worries. Our Support team has already been informed of this and will contact you to discuss it. Kindly keep your lines open and check your emails from time to time, as they will reach you there for further assistance. In the meantime, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated. 

Feel free to post here in the community if there's anything else you'd want us to help you with, and we'd be more than willing to listen and take immediate action, as your satisfaction is essential to us. 

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Alex9571,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you've been having with your remote. We're happy to provide you with an accurate resolution for this one.

Can you specify which Roku remote you currently have? Please refer here to identify the remote. Also, please be advised that some Roku remotes, specifically the Roku simple remote, are meant to be used not far from the streaming device since they are operated by infrared light (IR). We suggest placing your Roku Express in a more accessible location and refraining from placing it behind the TV.

If the issue is persistent, please provide us with the Roku device ID that your Roku remote is paired with.

Kindly keep us in the loop so we can assist you further.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Alex9571
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply Janadee. I'll have to drive to my in-laws to get the device id. They are tech illiterate so it may take a day or two.

The remote is a simple remote, no microphone icon, no magnifying glass icon, no OK button under the cursor keys. Just replay and star (*), beneath are rewind, pause/play and fast forward.

As for the express location, it is in line of sight of the remote which normally would be about 7-8 feet. It is unacceptable that we should have to have a 7-10 foot HDMI  cable running from the TV to the couch where the remote will be able to see it from 1 foot away.

I have brought the simple remote to my house to try it with my Roku box, it cannot see the Roku receiver from more than 1 foot away. MY simple remote can easily see MY Roku box from where I would normally sit. 

Since I have been able to transfer the problem to MY Roku location, would it not be easier to say this remote is defective and avoid having to make an unnecessary trip to the in-laws to get the device id of the receiver that clearly has no problem?

Awaiting your response

Alex9571

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Alex9571,

We appreciate your precise explanation.

We regret any trouble this has caused you but no worries. Our Support team has already been informed of this and will contact you to discuss it. Kindly keep your lines open and check your emails from time to time, as they will reach you there for further assistance. In the meantime, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated. 

Feel free to post here in the community if there's anything else you'd want us to help you with, and we'd be more than willing to listen and take immediate action, as your satisfaction is essential to us. 

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Alex9571
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you Carly, I will be standing by.

Alex9571

0 Kudos
Alex9571
Channel Surfer

Re: Remote only works from 1 feet away - NO WORD FOR 3 WEEKS!!!

Jump to solution

So Carly, you say support will be reaching out. It's been 3 weeks and nothing. I am really disappointed by ROKU support.

0 Kudos
1zodiac
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

don't trust what a mod says on a forum.

never used it,i see there is chat,try it.

0 Kudos
Alex9571
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I just tried it. I somehow could not find it when I first started this issue, but today it was magically there. I seem to be making some progress. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.