Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sleonard27520
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote not working for volume

Serial Number:  SODA2298KCFA

Issue is as stated before.  After programming the voice pro remote it works fine for 20 to 30 minutes.  While watching a show if I don't use the remote to control the TV volume after the 20 to 30 minutes it will stop controlling the volume for the TV.  If I re-program the remote for the TV the issue goes away until I let it go inactive for 20 to 30 minutes.  Basically the issue returns.  The odd thing is all other remote functions work fine except for volume control.  Thanks,

Shawn

Dmarcello
Reel Rookie

Both of my Roku volumes are not working. If I pair them again. They will work for awhile. If I plug remote to charge then volume will work. Unplug and it will work temporarily. If I go to settings and restart roku then volume will work temporarily again. This is BS and should be investigated by better business. Seems like there are a lot of volume issues. 

TorianEC
Streaming Star

this continues since the last upgrade. Tonight it has gotten much much worse. The only workaround I have found is to add a new voice remote. However tonight it is asking what type of TV I have and when I respond LG it plays the music and asked me the question " is the music playing", to which I respond "yes".

playing", to which I respond "yes".

The music instead of stopping after that continues to play and asks me the question "can you still hear the music playing" if I respond yes it continues and continues and continues until it finally gives up.

This is much much worse than it was a few weeks ago when this whole issue started. I would say it started with the last upgrade.

So let us ask you, Roku employees who are attempting to answer this question… How much more information do you need…?

So let us ask you, Roku employees who are attempting to answer this question… How much more information do you need…?

One cannot use volume or mute button.

Two go to settings/remotes and devices/add a new remote/and walk through the requested steps including setting it up to work with your TV where it asks about hearing music. Sometimes you cannot proceed through this it continues to say it cannot find your TV to turn the music off. So you were literally stuck and can't even go back to the movie.

I have to say that out of all the Roku's I have on this is without a doubt one of the very worst issues I have experience. There should be no mistake on Roku's part of the steps taken. Big bad bug in the code. 

Tags (3)
jwoytus
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem.  my Roku stream stick 4K+ remote sometimes controls my samsung TV, sometimes not.  I think that anything I try that seems to cause the problem or resolve the problem is just a distraction, since the passage of time will also cause it to fail or start working again.

That said, I have fully charged the remote, ensured CEC is enabled on my TV, re-paired the remote with the TV, cycled power on my networking equipment (shouldn't matter since it is an IR problem), switched to the other HDMI port.  Still, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I was very happy to be down to 1 remote, but now we have to have the TV remote handy too.

SW version is 11.5.0

Tracker ID = 3S-028-904

Thanks in advance,

John

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@Sagi 

Your older Roku 3 only controlled the tv volume by cec, which was turned on by a software update a long time ago, so a recent update turned it off. It can by turned back on via secret menu. We can't post the steps, but they have been posted before search.  The remote setting option is only for Roku remotes with IR on board which the Roku 3 remotes didn't that's why you get an error when you try to program an older game remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Dmarcello
Reel Rookie

So I take it from what I read that we can’t post this secret menu to fix volume issue. I would very much prefer to go back to alkaline battery remotes. Never had any issues. I tried pairing both controllers and volume control only works for a brief time. This is BS if there updates screwed these up. We should all deserve a refund from the company. Maybe turn company into better business

PastorDon

I have a new Roku Ultra/Voice Remote Pro. Two issues.  40% of the time, after plugging in a headphone for private listening, then unplugging for normal listening, no sound on TV.  Have to reboot the Ultra. Also intermittently, the remote stops controlling my TCL TV volume. Rebootimg TV and re-setting up the remote is needed to fix. Is my remote defective (i.e., intermittent headphone jack)? or have other people seen this? --Pastor Don

PastorDon

My Roku Ultra serial is X01000V9CC65.  Both problems are intermittent, and seem to have to do with plugging in headphones and then unplugging them, many times per day. --Pastor Don

oztrich
Channel Surfer

Just for grins, I'll add I'm also having this same issue. The remote stops controlling volume and also will not power the TV off. I have to keep the TV remote handy now. Once I use the TV remote, suddenly the volume controls on the Roku remote will work again. 

I, too, have done ALL these troubleshooting steps, to no avail. My streaming stick is already connected with the "free" extension cable.

This is ridiculous reading all of the SAME COMPLAINTS from across the spectrum of Roku users. It's quite obvious it's not US or any of our equipment, it's ROKU and their last, very FAULTY, update. 

You guys HAVE TO KNOW, so I'd like to ask any ROKU employee here, when will this issue be fixed with a new update??

*Roku Streaming Stick 4k+ 3821X

Software v. 11.50 •build 4312-CU

*Roku Voice Remote Pro RC701

Firmware v. rtn4186

*Samsung brand HD TV

TorianEC
Streaming Star

Torian again with an update containing further info

I have an LG-GX TV. 2020.

I have a Roku Ultra 2022.

I have set up my TV so that Roku turns on immediately without my having to use the TV control whatsoever. I use the Roku to start the TV.

I have set up my TV so that Roku turns on immediately without my having to use the TV control whatsoever. I use the Roku to start the TV.

The remote is the one that does not have batteries.

This remote has become utterly antiquated in its layout. I hate the fact that it has the four buttons for Netflix Disney Apple TV and Paramount. Who cares? They are totally useless to me and I'm sure to many other viewers. If I hit one of those buttons by mistake in the middle of the shell I end up in Netflix which I do not even subscribe to.

The mute button is way too close to the volume up down buttons. In addition, it is way too shabbily designed to be a universal remote; if I get locked into an LG update information screen I cannot escape it using the Roku and I have to go dig out my LG remote.

Way too poorly designed to be a universal remote; if I get locked into an LG update information screen I cannot escape it using the Roku and I have to go dig out my LG remote.

Here are the more current issues I have found... restarting the Roku does not necessarily fix the issue. Re-pairingthe remote does not necessarily fix the issue. Turning off the TV and then turning it back on does not necessarily fix the issue.

Re-starting the Roku does not necessarily fix the issue. Re-pairing the remote does not necessarily fix the issue. Turning off the TV and then turning it back on does not necessarily fix the issue. doing all of these several times sometimes results in success.

However if I can use the remote at all, I can go to the one that is set up and use the find remote and the sound comes through. Even when the mute and volume do not work.

This has gotten markedly worse. The screen was completely frozen and I could not navigate anywhere or even use the home button. I have grown exceedingly tired of this issue not being addressed at all. Is it the firmware in the remote?

Sometimes when I pretend I have a new remote and repair, I answer yes to the fact that I have an LG TV and the music stops when it's supposed to or it does not. Nor does it respond positively to controlling the LG TV.

Nor does it respond positively to controlling the LG TV.

It is apparent that I am not the only one suffering from this idiocy. With no response whatsoever from Roku

0 Kudos