Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanUK
Channel Surfer

Remote for 4200X - Roku 3 will not control Samsung

I had to resurrect my old Roku 3 4200X because the reliability of manufacture of Roku 4k Streaming Stick is so bad.

The remote for this 4200X is SO good compared to the tripe quality of the Roku 4k, the Roku Streaming stick has been bricked by an update and can no longer be controlled by any Remote.  

The Roku3 still works but I have changed TV since I used it and I can't get it to recognise and control my Samsung TV.

The remote for the Roku3 is listed as a "Gaming Remote" in the Roku settings.  It then offers IR Setup or CEC setup.  I have tried both, around 50 choices where I could still hear the music on IR and with CEC just just one, both ended with a similar "Unable to setup remote" message." It says to try again later but when I try again it has the same code numbers.

The TV has CEC set to on.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DanUK
Channel Surfer

Re: Remote for 4200X - Roku 3 will not control Samsung

Note it asks you to visit go.roku.com/remotehelp yet https://go.roku.com/remotehelp does not resolve and they have not even put a redirect page at https://roku.com/remotehelp

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'd call it a bug in the Roku settings.  The gaming remotes don't have any IR transmitter.  The volume buttons are for connected earphones.  I don't think the volume buttons are transmitted to a Roku device in any way, but @Tivoburkee probably knows more about them than me.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DanUK
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your reply renojim.

My Roku3 4200X remote must surely have IR, it worked on all my previous TV's many of which did not Support CEC.

Other people are reporting that updates are actually DOWNGRADING features, things like headphone support and even for myself pairing a remote.

This thread seems to confirm that it should work, it is a non-stick Roku device

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/Which-Roku-Devices-Work-With-Infrared-Remote-Controls/td-p/553...

When my Roku 4k Remote failed (because of poor quality manufacture) I went back to this old remote and boy it is so far superior to the rubbish ones that Roku shops today.

The volume worked before and the thread below suggests that Roku took away functionality and put it back despite assertions that it was never there in the first place.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/OS-11-5-Roku-Remote-Stopped-Controlling-A-V-Receiver-Volume/td...

I have tested the "can you still hear music" option over 50 times with an annoying "do you want to carry on" every 3 **bleep** tests. 

It seems that Roku arbitrarily decides it is going to delete functionality that users depend on with no concern to their customers.

I wonder if there is a model of remote that supports the volume but isn't of the current kwap design which go wrong in as little as 6 months.

I won't be buying Roku again until the quality improves, I might scan eBay for old kit.  My old Roku remote is still working after 10+ years albeit that they have screwed with the volume, but the new one is around six months old.

The fact that neither IR or CEC works is not acceptable.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You must have received a different remote with your Roku 3 than I did.  Mine is a model RC03 and definitely doesn't have IR.  You can tell which ones do because the end is made of noticeably different plastic than the rest of it.  I did verify that it does indeed transmit the volume buttons, but I can't even attempt to set it up for TV control.  I get the message, "The current remote does not support TV control".

The thread about remotes working with Roku 3 devices is about whether or not the Roku 3 itself supports an IR remote, not whether the remote that came with it is IR.  My Roku 3 (and as far as I knew all Roku 3s) came with an RF gaming remote, so the OP was asking if the RF remote could be replaced with an IR remote.  The Roku 3 predates Roku remotes that had TV controls, but it was sold for years, so maybe the remote supplied with it changed?

I'm with you on Roku removing features for no good reason, but unfortunately it's par for the course.  Things often disappear with no explanation or warning.  At least when they remove features in the OS developers usually get a warning, but rarely an explanation.  I think the explanation is a blanket, "we need to add more bloat and ads".

I've learned that you either put up with their nonsense or move on - don't expect them to change.  I have too many years invested and I'm too old to transition to something else.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos