Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Remote battery warning pop up

So in this new big update is Roku going to finally include the useful option to COMPLETELY DISABLE the annoying malfunctioning battery warning pop ups from the remotes? Or did Roku just add a bunch of useless features that most people don't care about?

I've been requesting this option for years because of how annoying the pop ups are and Roku has completely ignored this problem. I am wondering what it will finally take for something like this to be fixed.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Remote battery warning pop up

@Emissary35 wrote:

So in this new big update is Roku going to finally include the useful option to COMPLETELY DISABLE the annoying malfunctioning battery warning pop ups from the remotes? Or did Roku just add a bunch of useless features that most people don't care about?

I've been requesting this option for years because of how annoying the pop ups are and Roku has completely ignored this problem. I am wondering what it will finally take for something like this to be fixed.

HI @Emissary35 ! That definitely sounds like a bug. Have you noticed this with multiple Roku remotes or is it just one in your possession that's acting up? Is this a Voice Remote (or Voice Remote Pro)? Would you mind getting some information for us and we'll take a peek under the hood and see if we can help:

- Roku device ID this dialog is displaying on (found under > Home > Setting > System > About)

- Tracker ID next time you see the dialog (on your remote press Home button 5x, then Back button 5x) and let us know the Tracker ID. This places a bookmark allowing our teams to investigate better.

Thanks for letting us know you're experiencing this issue, and if you had let us know in the past and didn't get traction, my apologies and we hope to help. 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I can't believe you just asked that, do you people not pay any attention to these forums? There are topics going back literally YEARS complaining about the battery pop ups malfunctioning! It's happened on multiple Roku remotes I've had over the years, battery and rechargeable ones as well as for other people.

I've given all the information you have requested more than once, so have other people and nothing has changed. Go look through my posts and others on here under the Remotes category and you'll see how wide an issue this is. It's absolutely a malfunction in the remote software.

I get the battery level pop ups sometimes when I haven't even touched the remote in 30 to 60 minutes telling me my batteries are FULL! Completely taking me out of my movie experience! This notification is ridiculous and it needs to either be removed from the software or a setting created so that users can turn it off so we never have to see it.

All other devices have settings to disable notifications because they annoy a lot of people, why does this not have one? I can figure out when to change my batteries when button presses no longer work!

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Emissary35 wrote:

I can't believe you just asked that, do you people not pay any attention to these forums? There are topics going back literally YEARS complaining about the battery pop ups malfunctioning! It's happened on multiple Roku remotes I've had over the years, battery and rechargeable ones as well as for other people.

I've given all the information you have requested more than once, so have other people and nothing has changed. Go look through my posts and others on here under the Remotes category and you'll see how wide an issue this is. It's absolutely a malfunction in the remote software.

I get the battery level pop ups sometimes when I haven't even touched the remote in 30 to 60 minutes telling me my batteries are FULL! Completely taking me out of my movie experience! This notification is ridiculous and it needs to either be removed from the software or a setting created so that users can turn it off so we never have to see it.

All other devices have settings to disable notifications because they annoy a lot of people, why does this not have one? I can figure out when to change my batteries when button presses no longer work!

We've fixed this bug a few times but don't have a lot of recent reports. We do also see the remote disconnecting and reconnected due to a crowded wireless environment.

But, try this. You can restart your remote, which might help.

If you have batteries in the back of the remote, it's just pulling the batteries, waiting a moment, and re-inserting them.

If your voice remote has a rechargeable battery, follow the steps below below to reboot your remote

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back 

and Home 

for 20 seconds.

Still not fixed? Happy to file a new ticket with our engineering team with your details, but the Tracker IDs expire over time so we'd need a fresh code. Let us know!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

@RokuAustin 

"We've fixed this bug a few times but don't have a lot of recent reports."

You haven't fixed anything, this issue has been persistent for years. How do you 'fix a bug a few times'? You either fix it or your don't! If you have to do it more than once that means that you failed!

I've restarted my remotes before by pulling the batteries out, because these remotes are battery killers so I never leave the batteries in when I am not using my Roku. That does NOTHING to stop the malfunctioning pop ups!

So no this issue is still not fixed! And I did not fail to notice how you (just like every other time I mention this) completely IGNORED my suggestion of either removing the battery notifications from the software or giving us an option to COMPLETELY DISABLE them in the settings! Doing EITHER of those things would solve this 'bug' you apparently have no answers for!

Go report that to the genius Roku engineers who intentionally created this stupid pop up notification that me and many others NEVER want to see!

Remove it or make it optional! Then the problem would be solved! But I expect you guys will continue to do what you have been doing, nothing about this.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Well I was right, going on two months later and Roku still has not done anything about this. I keep getting the annoying battery popups on my screen. Last night I was 30 minutes into a video and hadn't touched the remote since I pressed "Play" on the remote. Suddenly I get the annoying pop up in the upper right corner of my screen, all green lines showing that my battery level is full!

This happens on all of my Roku Voice Remotes, not just one. I have the regular Voice Remotes that take triple A batteries and also the Voice Remote Pros which have rechargeable batteries. It doesn't matter because the malfunctioning pop up happens on all of them and regardless of whatever the battery level is.

Again Roku, what is the point of spamming your customers screens with a malfunctioning pop up just to tell you that your batteries are FULL?

The point of the notification was to let you know when the batteries are getting low, but it pops up randomly no matter what your battery level is, so the notification is not only worthless it's a complete annoyance!

I read a comment about this someone else posted who suggested this might be because the remote is losing Wi-Fi connection, then when it re-establishes connection the pop up happens. If that is true that means these remotes are junk, because they can't stay connected! And second, when they reconnect someone has programmed the remote to pop up the battery level notification all the time!

The people behind this notification really screwed it up and their failure to fix it is even more insulting and infuriating. What is it going to take for Roku to take this problem seriously?

For the 57th time I'm suggesting this:

1) Update the software to give us a remote setting to DISBABLE all remote pop up notifications!

2) Completely REMOVE the pop ups from the software since they don't work (Even Better)

Why will you not do one of these two things Roku?

OS 13 just came out and this should have been fixed with that update! But what did Roku do instead? They took OS 13 as an opportunity to stick us with another ad on the Home Screen in the lower left corner.

It's clearly obviously what Roku's priorities are and it IS NOT customer satisfaction.

Just like every time me and others complain about this nothing gets fixed, this will either be ignored or soon followed by a useless copy/paste from a moderator telling us how they are looking into it but really nobody is.

GENEDC1

They haven't fixed **bleep**. I'm about to go to a competitor. I'm tired of wasting my money on products that don't work and get no technical support.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.