Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku keeps coming back to Rdio App

@Clevergirl563 wrote:

It happens when I am pressing any button on the remote. I can usually only get a few button presses in before it kicks me out to the rdio or vudu “add channel” screens. It is not limited to any particular app or time. Those buttons do not appear on the remote, and were never installed. 

I’m wondering if it’s a remote issue? 

Possibly. You can test that by using the Roku app on your mobile device and taking the batteries out of the physical remote.

What are the shortcut buttons on the physical remote?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Exasperated2021
Reel Rookie

I bought my Roku maybe about 7 months ago and have had the same problem for months now. I tried talking on here before and they kept telling me it must be the remote. Bought a new remote same problem. Then they said it needed an update but apparently it checks updates every day by itself. I have noticed that it happens mostly when I open Amazon and search for a video. As you type and you’re almost finished it jumps up and you have to start all over again. So unless I know the title of a movie I either don’t watch it on Roku or I start the movie on another device, open Amazon and look for it on the “Continue watching” area. But it’s kind of ridiculous that I have to do this for months now. Today I was scrolling through my settings on the set and it starting happening again, this time with vudu. It’s some kind of software issue but no one seems to want to try and tackle that. I might be going back to my Amazon stick soon. 

0 Kudos
Backcrack
Channel Surfer

I got a pop-up ad on the sidebar of my main screen for a genuine roku IR remote.  I purchased it immediately thinking that my whole problem could be with the cheap replacement remote that I bought off Amazon.  The Amazon remote does not have the little purple tag at the bottom, so maybe not genuine?  Once I get the new remote directly from Roku, I'll reply to let you know if it works.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Your account was created yesterday, but you said you "tried talking on here before and they said it must be my remote".    You have no prior posts in your history.   Is there some reason you closed your previous account and opened this one instead?  

You also didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

If you have a TCL TV like the others, this behavior of a pop up happening when you search may be related to Roku TV's ACR "Automatic Content Recognition" behavior.

Try turning it all off:  Settings/Privacy/Smart TV Experience - Uncheck all boxes

@tsully97   @Backcrack   @Clevergirl563   should also try this as well.

Backcrack
Channel Surfer

Unchecking ACR didn't work.  I'm hoping the genuine Roku remote does the trick. 

0 Kudos
Exasperated2021
Reel Rookie

You’re right I did not have an account, I only spent more time creating one so that I could actually post here. I just meant “on the site they tell you” (i.e. customers) ergo “they told me”. Do you understand now? (Don’t understand what that had to do with what appears to be an ongoing problem though). And if I’d known you’d wanted that information I would have gladly given it. There is absolutely no need to and no excuse for, getting snarky.

Those boxes are not and have never been checked “on”.
Here’s my other info:

43” TCL Roku TV; Roku TV: C134X, TCL model: 43S435

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Exasperated2021

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are the specific steps that you are taking to reproduce the issue? What troubleshooting steps have you already tried to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BackButtonFun
Channel Surfer

Both of my rokus started doing this as well.  About the same time I'm not sure when but sometime in the past couple of months.  One is an old Roku 3.  The other is built into my TCL TV and that's a bit newer than the other Roku.  What a pain in the ass when the back button tries to switch to the radio channel.  Of course it's not installed so it brings me to the ad channel page. 

I'll be watching this thread for a solution.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@BackButtonFun

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Backcrack
Channel Surfer

I got a genuine TCL Roku remote (RC-280) from a seller on ebay and it seems like the solution!  Knock-off remote from Amazon was the problem.  No more Rdio or Vudu pop-ups since switching to the genuine remote.

0 Kudos