Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan39
Channel Surfer

#Remote Roku Remote Has Become Difficult to Use/ Certain Buttons not Responding

Hello, I have a Roku 4K Streaming Stick, with the voice capable remote. I also have 2 other older devices. I have loved everything about the 4K until recently. The remote control has become very difficult to use especially certain buttons. Use to the remote was very responsive to the easiest of touch, but now it seems you have to use all your strength for the buttons to work, especially forward/ rewind. I have become very dissapointed as I can not find a fix. I have never had the problem with any other remotes. I am thinking of switching everything to another brand of streaming stick. Has anyone had this problem, or know any type of fix. I don't feel the remote should be "worn out" as it is not overly used. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: #Remote Roku Remote Has Become Difficult to Use/ Certain Buttons not Responding

Hello! @Dan39,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your reaching out to us about your Roku remote experiencing issues with unresponsive buttons. We're pleased to help.

All Roku voice remotes have a voice button located near the purple directional pad. The button has either a microphone or a magnifying glass icon.

If your remote has a voice button, you have a Roku voice remote. If it does not, you have a Roku simple remote.

If you have a Roku simple remote, you should go to to the article with detailed instructions on how to fix your Roku simple remote instead.

Follow these troubleshooting steps to fix issues with your Roku voice remote. Detailed instructions on how to perform each step are in the sections below. After performing each step, test your remote with your streaming device before continuing to the next step.

1. Reboot your voice remote
  2. Reboot your streaming device
  3. Replace or recharge the batteries in your voice remote
  4. Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

You can use the Roku mobile app to control your streaming device while you are troubleshooting your voice remote.

Reboot your voice remote

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, use the following steps to reboot your remote by removing and reinstalling the batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

If your voice remote has a rechargeable battery, follow the steps below below to reboot your remote

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back 

and home for 20 seconds.

When the status light stops flashing your rechargeable voice remote has successfully rebooted.

Reboot your streaming device

Use the following steps to restart your streaming device.

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV
  5. Once you see the Home screen, try to use your remote to control your device

Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

Your voice remote and streaming device must be in pairing mode at the same time to complete the pairing process. When your streaming device is powered on, it will automatically enter pairing mode and look for remotes.

Follow the steps in the "Reboot your streaming device" section above and then perform the appropriate step below to put your remote in pairing mode.

• If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  • If your voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back 

and the Home button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.

When your streaming device finds your voice remote, an on-screen confirmation message will appear.

For additional information, please check here: How to fix your Roku Remote.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.